I have talked about work and family problems before, this seems to be a godd time to talk about it again. At one time or another each of us have had to go to work while dealing with a family or personal crisis. How do you cope when you have a sick family member at home or some other problem, and a deadline to meet in the office?
If you are one of those people who has a face that shows everything, let your boss or those close to you in your office know that you have a personal problem and may appear a little out of it. Let them know that you will get the job done. There is no need to go into detail about your personal life.
- If you feel that you can't handle the stress of your job and your problem, arrange to take vacation time or sick time.
- Try to stay positive. This is the time to stay away from nay-sayers, gossip mongers and negative people in your office.
- Be sure to take your lunch break away from your desk. Working through your lunch hour will not make your problems go away. If your appetite is off, at least eat a piece of fruit or drink fruit juice. Listen to soothing music or simply take a short walk around your building.
- Get outside help. Most companies have an employee assistance program. If you think you need or are advised to seek help through therapy, do it.
- Online groups can be useful because you are anonymous and can ask any question or say what you are feeling and remain anonymous. There is usually one person who has been through what you are going through now. Be open to the kindness of strangers.
- When you are home turn on your bright lights. Read a book. Play music that you enjoy. Try to get a good nights sleep; turn the radio, television and lights off.
- Find an outside activity. Deal with your problem as best you can, then move on to another activity. Get away from the telephone. Go to the library to read for a couple of hours, join a exercise class or cooking class. If your problem is money, check out ways to earn extra cash.
- Talking about your problem with family members may help resolve it quickly. If it does not, it may help to clear the air.
- When your crisis is over, thank those who have helped you through it.
- If people in your office were aware that something was wrong, let them know when your crisis is over. Bring a cake or cookies to share--a simple thanks for understanding is sufficient.