Guest Author - Helene Choi
If you're like many of the countless women out there with big plans for New Year's Eve, you'll want to make sure that you have all your fashion essentials ready to go. Whether you're celebrating at home with friends, going out on the town, or attending a special party, every girl should be prepared. It's what I call the New Year's Eve Fashion Survival Kit.
Must-have Fashion Essentials for Your New Year's Eve Survival Kit:
1. Survival Bag - This is a medium sized bag that will stay in your vehicle, or in the car of the person who is your designated driver. This bag will act as your survival bag, and all items on the rest of this list will go in the bag. If coat check is available at your venue, you might want to check it in so that it is indoors with you.
2. Ballet Flats - Most women go out in sky high heels that are pretty to look at but oh-so-painful within just a few hours. Nothing ruins a good time like not having proper shoes! Start by adding a pair of fold-able ballet flat slippers either in your handbag or in your survival bag. Also, it helps to have gel inserts (like Dr. Scholl's) in your heels so that you can wear it as much as possible before your feet give up on you. You should also pack some band-aids for unexpected blisters or soreness on your heel.
3. Hosiery - If you're wearing pantyhose, be sure to pack an extra pair. It just takes a little snag from your bracelet, a zipper, or anything else that will create a run! To save space, unpack the pantyhose from its outer packaging and roll it carefully into a small cosmetic bag or a zip-lock baggie. Make sure that it's the same color and type as the ones you'll be wearing so that no one notices if you have to swap out your hosiery due to a run!
4. Safety Pins and Fashion Tape - You can find safety pins and fashion tape just about anywhere that sells crafting supplies or sewing supplies. You can also find them in larger discount department stores like Target or Wal-mart. If you're planning on dancing the night away, you might find yourself losing a button or worse, ripping a strap or loosening a hem or otherwise damaging some part of your outfit. If you have safety pins and fashion tape, it could make the difference between going home to change or partying on with a few quick fixes. Can't find fashion tape? A roll of medical tape used inside (or some place not visible) on the garment will help.
5. A Coat - A lot of women skip their coat because they want to be sure that the world can see them in their pretty New Year's Eve dress. But fashion has it's limits. If it's an outdoor event, you'll want to come with a warm sweater shawl or a coat because it's unlikely you'll survive more than an hour without a coat if you hit 30 degree weather. It's nice to be a fashionista, but save yourself some grief and carry a coat! Most venues have coat checks or you might even leave it in your car. If you're checking a coat, be sure to bring a few bucks with you so that you can tip the coat check staff.
6. A clutch with a chain (or a small cross body bag) - Even if you don't feel like carrying anything, you'll at least need your driver license, credit card, and maybe some lipstick. It's nice to go purseless so that you can show off your New Year's garb, but to be practical, a clutch with a detachable chain or a small cross body bag will come in handy. I usually throw a few safety pins, some band-aids, lip gloss, some cash, and driver license in my "party bag". You can put a nice brooch on your clutch or bag to make it look festive.
You might think of other items that must go in your fashion survival bag. Every woman is different and has different needs. Whatever your story is, if you're prepared for a great time with your friends or loved ones, nothing will stop you... not even a run in your stockings, blisters on your feet, or a cold evening. Have a fabulous time this New Year's Eve!