logo
g Text Version
Beauty & Self
Books & Music
Career
Computers
Education
Family
Food & Wine
Health & Fitness
Hobbies & Crafts
Home & Garden
Money
News & Politics
Relationships
Religion & Spirituality
Sports
Travel & Culture
TV & Movies

dailyclick
Bored? Games!
Nutrition
Postcards
Take a Quiz
Rate My Photo

new
European Travel
Action Movies
Bible Basics
Houseplants
Romance Movies
Creativity
Family Travel


dailyclick
All times in EST

Full Schedule
g
g Twins Site

BellaOnline's Twins Editor

g

Hair Loss After Having Twins


After having twins, many mothers of multiples complain about very drastic hair loss. Many don't even mention it, thinking that it's a normal part of pregnancy to lose some hair. It can be anywhere from a couple of strands to a fist full of hair, but why? How normal is this? Is there anything that can be done to prevent it?

When and why does hair loss happen after pregnancy?

It is very common to lose hair up to five months after giving birth to your babies; this happens to 40-50% of women after delivery. This occurrence is called "telogen effluvium." Although you might find it very alarming, it typically does not cause any long term problems. The reason that this happens is because the human body produces 90% of hair while the remaining 10% stays on a “resting stage.” Every 60-90 days when the new hair is produced, the 10% that was “resting” falls out. This all changes during your pregnancy due to the elevated amount of hormones in your body. The hair that was supposed to fall out does not, so when your body is balancing out these hormones out after you give birth, all that hair that was supposed to shed during those nine months of pregnancy falls out all at once.

Can post delivery hair loss be prevented?

Your nutrition plays a major role in how your hair will act after giving birth. Making sure to eat a lot fresh fruits and vegetables (full of antioxidants and flavanoids) is very important, as these can promote hair growth and protect your hair follicles. Also, don't abuse your hair. Don't wear any hairstyles that require pulling back your hair tightly. This can cause tension and breaking-obviously leading to more hair falling out. You should also be careful when using heating tools to style your hair. Your hair is very weak and brittle during this time, and will easily burn. Try to find hair products that contain biotin and silica, as these will help protect your hair. Also keep in mind that wet hair breaks easily too. Try to always use a wide toothed comb when detangling wet hair.

How much is too much postpartum hair loss?

Follow your instincts. If you feel that you are losing too much hair and you see some bald spots, or areas that are thinning out too much, consult your physician. They can check to see what your hormone levels are, and whether or not they are leveling off. Whatever you do, do not get discouraged; this is your body's natural way of telling you that everything is going back to normal.
Add Hair+Loss+After+Having+Twins to Twitter Add Hair+Loss+After+Having+Twins to Facebook Add Hair+Loss+After+Having+Twins to MySpace Add Hair+Loss+After+Having+Twins to Del.icio.us Digg Hair+Loss+After+Having+Twins Add Hair+Loss+After+Having+Twins to Yahoo My Web Add Hair+Loss+After+Having+Twins to Google Bookmarks Add Hair+Loss+After+Having+Twins to Stumbleupon Add Hair+Loss+After+Having+Twins to Reddit




RSS | Related Articles | Editor's Picks Articles | Top Ten Articles | Previous Features | Site Map


For FREE email updates, subscribe to the Twins Newsletter


Past Issues


print
Printer Friendly
bookmark
Bookmark
tell friend
Tell a Friend
forum
Forum
email
Email Editor


Content copyright © 2014 by Julixa Newman. All rights reserved.
This content was written by Julixa Newman. If you wish to use this content in any manner, you need written permission. Contact Julixa Newman for details.

g


g features
Comparing Your Twins

Twin Toddler Sleep Tips

Twins and Homework

Archives | Site Map

forum
Forum
email
Contact

Past Issues
memberscenter


vote
Poetry
Daily
Weekly
Monthly
Less than Monthly



BellaOnline on Facebook
g


| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2014 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.


BellaOnline Editor