Books & Music
Food & Wine
Health & Fitness
Hobbies & Crafts
Home & Garden
News & Politics
Religion & Spirituality
Travel & Culture
TV & Movies
Ideal Plants to Grow
Orchids are ideal plants to grow in almost every domain, be it your home (inside or outside) or office. Read on to know why orchids are ideal for growing not only for commercial growers but for hobbyists too.
Let me put it point wise.
1. Easy to grow: There are orchids which are quite easy to grow or rather are difficult to kill. These can survive on minimum care. Though, there are also orchid species which are extremely sensitive, requiring particular set of conditions to survive. The easy to grow orchids are also known as 'hardy orchids', meaning those which can survive a wide range of climatic conditions. Check with your local nursery for these hardy orchids.
2. Do not require much care: Most orchids are quite easy to grow, once their basic needs (of air, water, light and temperature) are taken care of.
3. Great looking even in vegetative phase: Orchids have adapted a larger number of habitats. As a consequence they have a highly varied structure and are attractive even when they are not in flowering stage.
4. Long lasting flowers (shelf life) : Orchids flowers have, in general, a long shelf life. That is the flowers last for a longer period of time. Some orchids have flowers which last for nearly a month.
5. Great looking flowers, uniquely shaped, beautifully coloured: Uniquely shaped flowers are a forte of orchids. All kinds of shapes can be seen in this group of plants. There is a Monkey orchid, a Dancing girl orchid, Slipper orchids and many more. Many hobbyists consider these as their most cherished possessions.
6. Scented flowers: The famous 'Vanilla' flavours and scents is an orchid. Some of the most delicious scents are produced by orchid flowers. There are some obnoxious smelling orchids too :)
7. Great for indoor growing, windowsill etc.: Being attractive plants in both vegetative as well as flowering states, orchids can be used to brighten indoors, windowsills, verandas etc.
8. Commercial options can also be explored with orchids. Both cut flowers as well as whole plants are in high demand in open market.
Apart from these, orchids can be used to make artistic items.
| Related Articles | Editor's Picks Articles | Top Ten Articles | Previous Features | Site Map
Content copyright © 2015 by Anu Dharmani. All rights reserved.
This content was written by Anu Dharmani. If you wish to use this content in any manner, you need written permission. Contact Anu Dharmani for details.
Website copyright © 2016 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.