iBA Building Portrait Book Cover Layout
How To Make The Template Yourself
As we have seen, the first layout in the Book Pane is for the Book Title. For my template, I added a graphic placeholder for a full-page book cover illustration and two new text placeholders for the title of the book and the author’s name.
Book Cover Design
Although you have the option to create your book for the Retina screen, the graphic for the Book Title page is the exception in that it must have the Standard dimensions of Width 768 x Height 1004. I’ve placed those dimensions on the placeholder graphic, as a reminder.
When designing your book cover illustration, you will want to add all the design elements except the book title and author’s name, as you will use the placeholders to add those. The text placeholders provided can be repositioned and restyled to match your design.
But what if you want to use a special design technique for the title or author name, such as the text on a curve. In that case, these would be part of the cover illustration and you would not use the placeholders.
- To remove the author's name placeholder text box, select the box and delete.
- To remove the title placeholder text box, select and delete.
How the User Will Customize Your Book Title Layout
- To replace the book cover placeholder graphic with your own illustration, drag your image file from the Finder and drop it over the upper right corner of the placeholder graphic.
- Double click the book title placeholder and type the title of your book. You can restyle the text using the styles in the Styles Drawer or the Format Toolbar.
- Double click the author name placeholder text, type the author’s name and restyle/reposition if you wish.
- To add a new text box to the layout, click on the Text Box icon in the Toolbar.
- Double-click the placeholder text “Type to Enter Text” and add your own text.
- With the new text selected, open the Styles drawer and apply the dC_Heading4 style or the style of your choice.
- Drag the text box in to position within your design.
This page can contain an image or a video. It's the easiest page to customize. Just drag your image or video from the Finder window in to the full-page placeholder. To omit this page, leave the placeholder blank.
Editor's Picks Articles
Top Ten Articles
Content copyright © 2019 by Diane Cipollo. All rights reserved.
This content was written by Diane Cipollo. If you wish to use this content in any manner, you need written permission. Contact Diane Cipollo for details.