Guest Author - Suzanne Gregory
Naturally, we associate February 14th with Valentines Day, love, cards, flowers, candy, and Hallmark.
This year it also kicks off another celebration of love, of awareness, of responsibility, and protection. February 14th through February 21st also marks National condom week.
It was in 1978 that students at the University of California Berkeley started the week of celebration devoted to condoms and safe sex. Between the 1980’s and 1990’s Condom week moved from the local campus to be recognized by thousands of universities, high schools, pharmacies, and organizations like those in support of Aids awareness, STD awareness, and Family planning.
Now in 2011, National condom week is even more widespread with the social media boom of sites such as Facebook and Twitter. Planned Parenthood is just one example of National Condom Weeks biggest supporters. At numerous Planned Parenthood Centers across the country condoms will be given away free in honor of the celebration.
It does not end with free condoms though. National condom week goes all out, and in conjunction with proper attire condoms, you can also celebrate by doing one of the following as taken from the “I stand with Planned Parenthood” Facebook Page
1, “Donate your Facebook status” to Planned Parenthood and National Condom Week! – Change your status to one of the following and include a link to this note or to our chic Proper Attire ® condoms! Better yet, try them all!
Dress him up… http://bit.ly/condomwk
Fit him right… http://bit.ly/ProperAttire
Proper Attire ® Required for Entry http://bit.ly/ProperAttire
2. Change your profile image on Facebook, Twitter, Myspace, and anywhere else, you live online to one of the original condom images located in our Proper Attire ® album.
3. Send an e-card! Share one of the Planned Parenthood-created National Condom Week cards on someecards. You can send them via email or post to Facebook, Myspace and Twitter right from the someecards site! Available in English and Spanish.
4. Use the #CondomWeek hashtag on Twitter. Follow @PPAct for condom facts, funny ads, great links and info all week and RETWEET us!
5. Become a fan of Proper Attire® on Facebook. Invite your friends.
6. Visit us online to learn more about condoms, safe sex and other health topics at http://www.plannedparenthood.org/ and http://www.properattirecondoms.com/
Check with your favorite condom manufacturer to see if they are giving away free condoms during National Condom week. Let us share the love responsibly, and without spreading disease and unintended pregnancy! What better way to show the one you love, just how much you love them?
Happy Valentines Day and thank you to all of the organizations and individuals working to keep everyone choosing to be healthy and responsible!