Books & Music
Food & Wine
Health & Fitness
Hobbies & Crafts
Home & Garden
News & Politics
Religion & Spirituality
Travel & Culture
TV & Movies
9 Ways To Avoid Gaining Weight On A Cruise
It can be easy to gain weight on vacation, particularly on a cruise. The dining opportunities on today's cruise ships are tempting and there are a wide variety of venues available to binge onboard, including lavish all-you-can-eat buffets. In addition, thereís a tendency to think that ďI paid for it, so I should eat as much as possible,Ē since meals and snacks are included in the cruise fare.
Cruise vacations donít have to be synonymous with weight gain, though. In fact, itís quite possible to maintain or even lose weight on a cruise. Itís all in your mindset and how you approach the cruise experience.
If youíre trying to avoid weight gain on your next cruise, here are nine great tips:
1. Make a plan. Think about your goals for staying healthy on vacation and make a plan in advance. Write down your plan and bring it along with you on your cruise. It will help you to stick to your goals.
2. Get out and explore. Today's cruise ships are huge and there's so much to see and do onboard. Don't just sit around. Take a walk around the ship and check out all the different venues. If you own a Fitbit or a pedometer, take it with you. You'll be surprised to see how far you've walked as you circle around the ship.
3. Select active shore excursions. Once your ship is in port, plan to participate in an active tour. Shore excursions that incorporate hiking, biking, swimming, snorkeling or plenty of walking will burn up calories. Research your options in advance and make reservations for any "must have" excursions in advance to avoid disappointment. Popular activities and excursions often sell out quickly.
4. Stay away from self-serve buffets. Most cruise ships feature massive buffets that are very tempting and can wreak havoc on your willpower. It's hard to exercise self control when faced with so many delicious choices. Even when trying to be disciplined, itís easy to overfill your plate. Rather than opt for the buffet, head to the main dining room or a specialty dining option for your meals. Main dining rooms on cruise ship often feature spa menus and reasonable portions are served. When in doubt Ė have it your way. Itís easy to custom order your meal in cruise ship dining rooms. Just ask your waiter to serve items simply grilled and leave off cream sauces, fattening salad dressings and other calorie-heavy fare.
5. Take the stairs. While itís tempting to ride the shipís elevators, choose the stairs instead. Walking up and down the stairs to the gangway, meals, shows and other onboard events will burn up calories and provide some of the exercise needed to stay in shape. Taking a Fitbit with you on your cruise can provide added encouragement to use the stairs. The device will track how many sets of stairs youíve taken each day, helping you to reach your goal.
6. Choose your drinks wisely. Itís tempting to order a tropical pina colada onboard to celebrate your cruise as you sail away from shore. But that single pina colada can be packed with as many as 500-600 calories, making it a poor choice. Stay away from sugary sodas and cut back on alcoholic drinks while on your cruise. Watching your weight doesnít necessarily mean avoiding alcohol all together. Just take a look at a calorie counting website before you leave on vacation and choose your drinks wisely.
7. Use the gym. Exercising at a gym can be difficult to fit into an everyday routine, but itís much easier on a cruise ship. After all, youíre on vacation and thereís a state-of-the-art gym located just a few floors away. Pack your exercise gear and bring it along on your cruise. When using fitness equipment, donít forget to wipe off surfaces with sanitizing wipes to eliminate germs and viruses. Make a commitment to yourself to exercise a certain number of days during your cruise and build it into your schedule. If youíre considering participating in some of the many fitness classes offered onboard, make sure to determine which ones are free and find out about any additional charges before signing up.
8. Dance it off. Thereís a party (or five) every night aboard most cruise ships and many venues feature different types of music. Youíre sure to find an option that fits your musical taste. Plan to dance the night away while youíre onboard your ship. Dancing burns up lots of calories and itís wonderful to live it up on vacation.
9. Get plenty of sleep and drink lots of water. Make sure to drink as much water as possible and get lots of sleep. Staying hydrated and getting lots of rest are important parts of any diet and exercise plan. It will help you avoid getting sick on your vacation as well. Make sure to get plenty of sleep prior to leaving on vacation, too. Itís quite common for people to stress out, run around like crazy and stay up late working prior to traveling, only to get sick once on vacation due to a run-down immune system. So pack and prepare for your vacation in advance, then sleep well before departing. If you follow all these tips, youíll be likely to stay healthy and may even find yourself losing weight on your cruise.
| Related Articles | Editor's Picks Articles | Top Ten Articles | Previous Features | Site Map
Content copyright © 2015 by Nancy Schretter. All rights reserved.
This content was written by Nancy Schretter. If you wish to use this content in any manner, you need written permission. Contact Nancy Schretter for details.
Website copyright © 2016 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.