Books & Music
Food & Wine
Health & Fitness
Hobbies & Crafts
Home & Garden
News & Politics
Religion & Spirituality
Travel & Culture
TV & Movies
Five For Family Fun In Puerto Vallarta
Puerto Vallarta is an appealing destination for families. Located along Mexico’s Pacific Coast where the jungle-filled Sierra Madre mountains meet the sea, scenic Puerto Vallarta offers a wide array of family-friendly tours and adventures. Parents and kids will be captivated by all there is to see and do in this authentic colonial city.
While Puerto Vallarta has much to offer, it’s the warmth of its people that captures many vacationers’ hearts. Residents go out of their way for children and families will feel very welcome here. If you’re planning to visit Puerto Vallarta with kids, here are five great ideas for family fun:
1. Stroll Along The Malecón. Puerto Vallarta’s downtown area is wonderful for families. Take the kids for a walk along the city's pedestrian-only seaside boulevard (malecón) and admire the beautiful bronze sculptures. There are often entertainers such as street mimes and clowns performing along this beachfront boardwalk, particularly on Sundays when many local families come here as well. You may see sand sculptors creating amazing works of art along the shore, food and craft vendors selling their wares, musicians playing, and other festive delights. There are plenty of shops and family-friendly restaurants along the malecón as well. While you’re downtown, don’t forget to check out the vendors' craft and souvenir stands in the Isla Rio Cuale area.
2. Get Up Close With Dolphins And Sea Lions. Some of the most popular tours in the Puerto Vallarta area are the dolphin swim and dolphin encounter experiences available through Dolphin Discovery. The company's Royal Swims and Swim Adventures let families interact with dolphins and enjoy a variety of fun activities together. Tamer dolphin encounters are designed with younger children and non-swimmers in mind. A sea lion interaction program is also available through Dolphin Discovery. These programs can sell out in advance, so make sure to book your reservations early to avoid being disappointed. All of Dolphin Discovery's dolphin and sea lion programs include admission to kid-pleasing Aquaventuras Park with its ten waterslides, zipline course, lazy river, pools, shows and restaurant. It's important to note that there’s plenty of marine wildlife in the seas surrounding Puerto Vallarta, too. Families visiting Puerto Vallarta between December and March may wish to take a whale watching cruise to see the whales playing in Banderas Bay. It’s an amazing experience.
3. Sail Away To Remote Beaches. Las Caletas, a lush privately-owned sanctuary accessible only by sea, is a favorite destination for families visiting Puerto Vallarta. Once owned by famed filmmaker John Huston, this exclusive beachfront preserve is now available for day or evening excursions through Vallarta Adventures. During the day, families can relax on the secluded beach, go snorkeling or kayaking, try out paddleboarding, take a paella cooking class, interact with parrots and monkeys, or take a nature walk. A full buffet lunch is included in this excursion. Scuba diving, spa treatments, clay modeling, and a sea lion encounter are available at an additional charge. Kids ages 4-11 will love the Kids Adventure Park at Las Caletas, with its petting zoo and specially designed zipline experience. Kids must be about forty inches tall to participate in this activity. In the evening, a spectacular "Rhythms of the Night" program is available for adults and children ages six and older. Yelapa, an authentic little beachfront village accessible only by boat, is another popular day cruise excursion for families. Parents and kids can enjoy the beautiful beach and go swimming in the cove, hike to a waterfall, try out some watersports, and have a delicious lunch overlooking the water.
4. Fly High Above The Trees. Looking for some family-friendly adventure? Active families can fly high above the trees on a zipline canopy tour. There are several of these heart-stopping thrill rides located in the greater Puerto Vallarta area. Check out the exciting zipline experiences available at Canopy River. This excursion takes riders gliding through the peaks of the Sierra Madre mountains. The longest zipline here stretches over a quarter mile. Free mule rides and other activities are included as well. Other zipline experiences include the Los Veranos canopy tour and the El Eden canopy adventure, set in the location where the Arnold Schwarzenegger movie “Predator” was filmed. Children age six and up can participate in these zipline excursions.
5. Play Pirates For A Day. Families can have their own pirate adventure on the Marigalante, an authentic replica of a wooden Spanish galleon ship - complete with cannons. On this six hour tour, kids will have fun watching pirates fight with swords, swing from the ship's mast and walk the plank. Kids can even participate in a treasure hunt. As part of the excursion, the Marigalante visits the secluded beach area at Majahuitas. Here, families can go snorkeling, kayaking, ride banana boats, or just relax on beach chairs shaded by umbrellas. Breakfast and an extensive lunch buffet are also served as part of this daytime excursion.
For more information on what to do in Puerto Vallarta, make sure to check out the Official Puerto Vallarta Travel Guide at www.visitpuertovallarta.com.
| Related Articles | Editor's Picks Articles | Top Ten Articles | Previous Features | Site Map
Content copyright © 2015 by Nancy Schretter. All rights reserved.
This content was written by Nancy Schretter. If you wish to use this content in any manner, you need written permission. Contact Nancy Schretter for details.
Website copyright © 2015 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.