Mystic Seaport Hopes to Buy Presidential Yacht
It certainly has lots of secrets to tell. Since Herbert Hoover, the USS Sequoia has been used as a “traveling White House” by several United States Presidents.
FDR and Eisenhower planned the D-Day invasion aboard the ship during World War II. It is where President Truman made the decision to drop the atomic bomb on Hiroshima, LBJ planned Vietnam War strategy, and Nixon reportedly made the decision to resign. In what would be the final days of Camelot, President Kennedy celebrated his last birthday aboard the yacht.
The USS Sequoia is a 104 foot wooden luxury yacht, with a maximum capacity of 57 persons. It was originally built in 1925 and has been exquisitely restored.
Mystic Seaport is hoping to acquire this significant piece of maritime history for their superb collection of watercraft. A spokesman for Mystic Seaport said the museum has six months to work out a purchase agreement with the current owners.
President Carter sold the boat in 1977. It changed owners several times before it was purchased by the Sequoia Presidential Yacht Group, who offers charters of the Potomac River for a mere $10,000 for a four hour trip.
If the yacht is indeed purchased by Mystic Seaport, the average Joe will be able to climb aboard for the first time in the USS Sequoia’s history!
In contrast, the following lavish rental options – chosen by some of the most powerful individuals in the world – are listed on the official website of the USS Sequoia:
* * * * * * * *
Sample of Rental Options
1. Dockside greeting for 30-60 minutes. Cruise for a 2-hour brunch on the Potomac River. (Trip chosen by Mikhail Gorbachev.)
2. Dockside cocktails for 30-60 minutes. Cruise for 1-3 hours on the Potomac River. (Trip chosen by Board of Directors of Museum of American History.)
3. Dockside cocktails for up to 1 hour with 49 guests. Guests leave, and new guests arrive. Cruise 1-3 hours with the 49 new guests. (Trip chosen by several high tech companies.)
4. Cruise 75 minutes to Mt. Vernon, and arrive at sundown. Take a 1½ hour private candlelight tour of George Washington’s house ($30/p), and cruise 75 minutes back. (Trip chosen by Boy Scouts of America Board.) NOTE: This option may be subject to additional charges, because it may require use of the yacht beyond four hours.
5. Cruise 30 minutes to Old Town Alexandria, and guests leave. New guests board for remaining cruise. (Trip chosen by Mayor of Washington, D.C. and Secretary of the Treasury.)
6. Dockside for entire event, thereby allowing guests to arrive or depart at will. (Trip chosen by President Clinton.)
7. Cruise for 2 hours on the Anacostia and Potomac Rivers, with a formal sit-down dinner. (Trip taken by Vice President Cheney and Alan Greenspan.)
You Should Also Read:
USS Sequoia Official Website
Mystic Seaport Official Website
Holiday Lantern Tours at Mystic Seaport
Editor's Picks Articles
Top Ten Articles
Content copyright © 2018 by Kim Kenney. All rights reserved.
This content was written by Kim Kenney. If you wish to use this content in any manner, you need written permission. Contact Kim Kenney for details.