Beauty & Self
Books & Music
Food & Wine
Health & Fitness
Hobbies & Crafts
Home & Garden
News & Politics
Religion & Spirituality
Travel & Culture
TV & Movies
Quotes About Disasters
Guest Author - Danielle HollisterThis site needs an editor - click to learn more!
- "Unlike most major American cities, Honolulu is geographically insulated from the rest of the country. When disaster strikes we cannot call on neighboring states for assistance."
-- Daniel Akaka
- "Meanwhile, fears of universal disaster sank to an all time low over the world."
-- Isaac Asimov
- "To suffering there is a limit; to fearing, none."
-- Francis Bacon
- "We are never ripe till we have been made so by suffering."
-- Henry Ward Beecher
- "The disaster that is Afghanistan is about to make it back above the fold on the NY Times and the Washington Post. The Thanksgiving trip to Iraq didn't budge the poll numbers, so let's roll out the heavy ammo to stop the bleeding before any of the Democrats can make hay of the situation. Hey, it might just work."
-- Dave Blood
- "We cannot continue to lurch from one disaster to another. There are people who have been hit with severe flooding three times in the last five years."
-- Robert A. Brady
- "Knowledge is going to make you stronger. Knowledge is going to let you control your life. Knowledge is going to give you the wisdom to teach their children. Knowledge is the thing that makes you smile in the face of disaster."
-- Avery Brooks
- "The exchange rate between first-world lives and third-world lives in disaster stories in the media is about 50:1."
-- Craig Bruce
- "There are two big forces at work, external and internal. We have very little control over external forces such as tornadoes, earthquakes, floods, disasters, illness and pain. What really matters is the internal force. How do I respond to those disasters? "
-- Leo Buscaglia
- "Public calamity is a mighty leveler."
-- Edmund Burke
- "I beg you take courage; the brave soul can mend even disaster."
-- Catherine II
- "Better stop short than fill to the brim. Oversharpen the blade, and the edge will soon blunt. Amass a store of gold and jade, and no one can protect it. Claim wealth and titles, and disaster will follow. Retire when the work is done. This is the way of heaven."
-- Tao Te Ching
- "The formula for achieving a successful relationship is simple: you should treat all disasters as if they were trivialities but never treat a triviality as if it were a disaster."
-- Quentin Crisp
- "We can do more to help prevent the damage that bad weather can do. Commerce's NDRI brings together for the first time the resources of the Commerce Department to help build disaster resistant communities and jobs."
-- William M. Daley
- "Two thirds of federal disaster aid is weather related,and though we cannot prevent bad weather, we are getting better at predicting it. The Commerce Department's NDRI will help save lives and protect property. We will be working closely with FEMA, the Interior Department and other federal agencies, with state and local governments and with our nation's businesses."
-- William M. Daley
- "Calamity is the perfect glass wherein we truly see and know ourselves."
-- Sir William D'Avenant
- "There is no calamity that right words will not begin to redress."
-- Ralph Waldo Emerson
- "What quarrel, what harshness, what unbelief in each other can subsist in the presence of a great calamity, when all the artificial vesture of our life is gone, and we are all one with each other in primitive mortal needs? "
-- George Eliot
- "Man's extremity is God's opportunity."
-- John Flavel
- "Perhaps catastrophe is the natural human environment, and even though we spend a good deal of energy trying to get away from it, we are programmed for survival amid catastrophe."
-- Germaine Greer
- "You know, when something like, even like a coal mine disaster, or something like this, you think that well everybody's going to make a run to be able to get out, but it happened to fast that they were just all dead."
-- Richard Grimes
- "Americans believe that people should work hard and get ahead on their own, but when disaster strikes and they need help with retirement or disability, Americans as a whole should come to their aid."
-- Jacob Hacker
- "The man does better who runs from disaster than he who is caught by it."
-- Homer ("Smyrns of Chios")
- "In the peace process, the partner doesn't just sit and allow things to deteriorate to the point of disaster. The United States is needed with thoughts and with ideas, not only with the attitude of a messenger between parties, but - when things get rough - to come in and help with what is just and what is right, to overcome difficulty."
-- King Hussein I
- "When any calamity has been suffered, the first thing to be remembered is how much has been escaped."
-- Samuel Johnson
- "This nation can no longer tolerate the autonomous conduct of any single service. A waste of the resources of America in spendthrift defense is an invitation to disaster for America."
-- Louis A. Johnson
- "Warned by the disaster of the last great war, the statesmen of all nations have been taking measures to prevent the return of another such calamity."
-- Frank B. Kellogg
- "The pains felt by Asian countries are our own pains. Disaster in Asia is nothing but ours as well."
-- Junichiro Koizumi
- "If we put the emphasis upon the right things, if we live the life that is worth while and then fail, we will survive all disasters, we will out-live all misfortune. We should be so well balanced and symmetrical, that nothing which could ever happen could."
-- Orison Swett Marden
- "Moral and spiritual decay have brought about the demise of more great nations (empires) than any invading enemy force, plague, famine and nature disasters combined."
-- Joseph P. Martino
- "Calamity is the test of integrity."
-- Samuel Richardson
|Waves along a pristine be...|
| Related Articles | Editor's Picks Articles | Top Ten Articles | Previous Features | Site Map
Content copyright © 2013 by Danielle Hollister. All rights reserved.
This content was written by Danielle Hollister. If you wish to use this content in any manner, you need written permission. Contact