Guest Author - Helene Choi
According to Wikipedia, the idea of Casual Friday came into play in the late 1940's in Honolulu, Hawaii. In this beautiful tropical city, officials allowed workers to give their work apparel a break during a specified period of time and instead don the Aloha shirt, more commonly known as the Hawaiian shirt. It was made famous throughout the United States in the late 90's during the Internet boom as the country followed the lead of laid back California businesses. And the Casual Friday trend was officially born! Many large companies and offices have made this dress down day a tradition either weekly or monthly.
Casual Fridays can be a lot of fun. In an otherwise stuffy office environment full of suits, dress down Friday can boost your energy because you feel a little more relaxed and happier. What a perfect way to start your weekend! If you're an office gal required to suit up every day, Casual Friday offers you a great outlet for fashion creativity. You might be considered a sourpuss for not participating but worst of all, you might be frowned upon for over-participating. There is a fine line, my friends... To be the well-dressed savvy gal at the office, there are some rules to follow:
1. Be Bright & Bold - Let your personality show by wearing a bright color like fuchsia or red. Be creative! Monochromes like black, gray and white are perfectly fine but save those for Monday.
2. Have fun with Accessories! - Casual Friday is a great day to wear fun fashion jewelry. Layer some long strand necklaces or put on a fantastic statement necklace. Don't forget to put on a pair of really fun and bright or patterned shoes.
3. Sport a Fabulous Top - A lot of office workers tend to put on jeans with a normal Monday or Tuesday blouse. What's the fun in that? Try a pretty bohemian top with a pair of cute sandals or a fly open cardigan with a casual but feminine tank.
CASUAL FRIDAY DON'Ts
1. Skip the Comfy Stuff - Sure, it's Casual Friday. But don't forget you're still at the office and working for the rest of the day. Gym clothes are for working out and pajamas are for sleeping. Be sure that your Casual Friday garb is appropriate for work.
2. Don't be too sexy! - You can be sexy with your attitude. If any part of your undergarments are showing, you should change immediately! Sheer is okay with a cami or tank but it should always cover your back and midriff. Sleeveless is acceptable but tube tops and tiny spaghetti straps should be left at home. Also, say no to max cleavage. You're in a professional environment, even if it's Friday. Dressing professionally has its rewards; your peers will respect you for maintaining your classiness.
3. Don't Go Overboard - There is a word missing in the phrase. It's really business casual Friday. Sneakers, over-sized sweatshirts and baggy clothes have no place in the office. Be professional and don't go for the sloppy teenager look. With lots of trendy and casual clothing out there, you have plenty of options of looking casual while being a fashionista on the job.
Have fun, be professional, and enjoy your Casual Friday!