Beauty & Self
Books & Music
Food & Wine
Health & Fitness
Hobbies & Crafts
Home & Garden
News & Politics
Religion & Spirituality
Travel & Culture
TV & Movies
Guest Author - Danielle HollisterThis site needs an editor - click to learn more!
- "Those have most power to hurt us, that we love. "
-- Francis Beaumont and John Fletcher, from The Maid's Tragedy
- "FIDELITY, n. A virtue peculiar to those who are about to be betrayed."
-- Ambrose Bierce
- "Deep down, my mom had long suspected I was gay... Much of her anger and hurt came from her sense of betrayal that she was the last to be told."
-- Chastity Bono
- "Keep guard over your eyes and ears as the inlets of your heart, and over your lips as the outlets, lest they betray you in a moment of unwariness."
-- Anne Bronte
- "Affairs are loaded with romanticism, morality, mythology, and intense emotions. They're not really about sex, but about pain and fear and the desire to feel alive. They're also about betrayal."
-- Emily Brown
- "It is most true, stylus virum arguit, — our style betrays us."
-- Robert Burton
- "It is all right to rat, but you can't re-rat. "
-- Winston Churchill
- "Silence is a friend who will never betray."
- "They talk of a man betraying his country, his friends, his sweetheart. There must be a moral bond first. All a man can betray is his conscience. "
-- Joseph Conrad
- "In politics it is necessary either to betray one's country of the electorate. I prefer to betray the electorate."
-- Charles de Gaulle
- "We are much harder on people who betray us in small ways than on people who betray others in great ones. "
-- Francois De La Rochefoucauld
- "To be deceived by our enemies or betrayed by our friends in insupportable; yet by ourselves we are often content to be so treated."
-- Duc de La Rochefoucauld
- "Fifty or sixty shooters had already arrived and managed to look studiously bored. I knew a few of them and nodded politely. No one asked me to sit next to them, nor would I have accepted if they had. It's better that way, in case you end up on opposite sides of a fight, and a whole lot safer. Friends can betray you. Strangers can't."
-- William C. Deitz
- "Naturally, when one makes progressive steps, there may be some who see it as a betrayal of their goals and interests."
-- Louis Farrakhan
- "The issue of the Betrayal was so central to that, I felt the need to comment upon it. My choices were to ignore the games and put them "outside" of continuity or to integrate them. I chose the latter."
-- Raymond E. Feist
- "If I had to choose between betraying my country and betraying my friend, I hope I should have the guts to betray my country. "
-- Edward M. Forster
- "He that has eyes to see and ears to hear may convince himself that no mortal can keep a secret. If his lips are silent, he chatters with his fingertips; betrayal oozes out of him at every pore. "
-- Sigmund Freud
- "Intolerance betrays want of faith in one's cause."
- "As the end of the what is called the 'sexual life' the only love which has lasted is the love which has everything, every disappointment, every failure and every betrayal, which has accepted even the sad fact that in the end there is no desire so deep as the simple desire for companionship. "
-- Graham Greene
- "Do not fear your enemies. The worst they can do is kill you. Do not fear friends. At worst, they may betray you. Fear those who do not care; they neither kill nor betray, but betrayal and murder exists because of their silent consent. "
-- Bruno Jasienski
- "Well, it's such an intricate, beautiful script about eight professional robbers pulling a heist, and it deals with elements of betrayal, trust, instinct, and need for relationships."
-- Harvey Keitel
- "Evil working in subtler fashion; marriages that proved to be no more then legalized slavery, and the careful manipulation of a bright and sensitive mind until its owner truly believed with all her heart in her own worthlessness. Betrayal, not once, but many times over."
-- Mercedes Lackey
- "Love is whatever you can still betray ... Betrayal can only happen if you love. "
-- John LeCarre
- "The Church, rightly conceived, is the whole covenant people called to serve in the world. The clergy are also part of the laity, and their true function is to help equip the laity to be the Servant People. If they turn aside to rule and to secure their own status, they have betrayed the calling of the special ministry."
-- Franklin H. Littell
- "No failure in America, whether of love or money, is ever simple; it is always a kind of betrayal, of a mass of shadowy, shared hopes."
-- Greil Marcus
- "Betrayal is the only truth that sticks."
-- Arthur Miller
- "There are three signs of a hypocrite: when he speaks he speaks lies, when he makes a promise he breaks it, and when he is trusted he betrays his trust."
- "Love never dies a natural death. It dies because we don't know how to replenish it's source. It dies of blindness and errors and betrayals. It dies of illness and wounds; it dies of weariness, of withering, of tarnishing.""
-- Anais Nin
- "Yet there comes a time in the life of a patriot when abdication would amount to a betrayal if not outright treachery."
-- Olusegun Obasanjo
- "No soul of high estate can take pleasure in slander. It betrays a weakness."
-- Blaise Pascal
- "One has not the right to betray even a traitor. Traitors must be fought, got betrayed. "
-- Charles Peguy
- "To betray you must first belong."
-- Harold Philby
- "I sometimes react to making a mistake as if I have betrayed myself. My fear of making a mistake seems to be based on the hidden assumption that I am potentially perfect and that if I can just be very careful I will not fall from heaven. But a 'mistake' is a declaration of the way I am, a jolt to the way I intend, a reminder I am not dealing with the facts. When I have listened to my mistakes I have grown."
-- Hugh Prather
- "God defend me from my friends; from my enemies I can defend myself."
- "You cannot run with the hare and hunt with the hounds."
- "Anything may be betrayed, anyone may be forgiven, but not those who lack the courage of their own greatness."
-- Ayn Rand
- "It does not matter that only a few in each generation will grasp and achieve the full reality of man’s proper stature—and the rest will betray it. It is those few that move the world and give life its meaning—and it is those few that I have always sought to address. The rest are no concern of mine; it is not me or The Fountainhead that they will betray: it is their own souls."
-- Ayn Rand
- "Is it possible to succeed without any act of betrayal? "
-- Jean Renoir
- "'T is an old tale and often told; But did my fate and wish agree, Ne'er had been read, in story old, Of maiden true betray'd for gold, That loved, or was avenged, like me."
-- Sir Walter Scott
- "What! can the devil speak true? And oftentimes, to win us to our harm, The instruments of darkness tell us truths; Win us with honest trifles, to betray 's In deepest consequence."
-- William Shakespeare
- "When you betray somebody else, you also betray yourself."
-- Isaac Bashevis Singer
- "The betrayal of people's good will, good trust that things are being done for the best and they actually ARE being done for the best."
-- Ralph Steadman
- "You see that's what I think is such a terrible, terrible betrayal, the trust that people have in government."
-- Ralph Steadman
- "When fortune flatters, she does it to betray."
-- Publilius Syrus
- "Unless you make allowances for your friends' foibles, you betray your own."
-- Publilius Syrus
- "Betrayal is about learning not to idealize external sources."
-- Linda Talley
- "The volatile truth of our words should continually betray the inadequacy of the residual statement."
-- Henry David Thoreau
- "Each betrayal begins with trust."
- "To have betrayed two political leaders - to have wrecked two historic parties - reveals a depth of infamy never previously reached, compared with which the thugs of India are as faithful friends and Judas Iscariot is entitled to a crown of glory."
- "When you're out of sight for as long as I was, there's a funny feeling of betrayal that comes over people when they see you again."
-- Esther Williams
- "We have to distrust each other. It's our only defense against betrayal. "
-- Tennessee Williams
- "I'm trying to take culture and put it onstage, demonstrate it is capable of sustaining you. There is no idea that can't be contained by life: Asian life, European life, certainly black life. My plays are about love, honor, duty, betrayal - things humans have written about since the beginning of time."
-- August Wilson
- "Whom neither shape of danger can dismay, Nor thought of tender happiness betray."
-- William Wordsworth
- "Knowing that Nature never did betray The heart that loved her."
-- William Wordsworth
|It's All About Character|
Content copyright © 2015 by Danielle Hollister. All rights reserved.
This content was written by Danielle Hollister. If you wish to use this content in any manner, you need written permission. Contact