Browse Dozens of Proverbs
- "A fellow who gets more than he deserves wants more than he gets."
- "A few are unwilling to sin; everybody knows how."
- "A fire can't throw a great light without burning something."
- "A liar better have a good memory."
- "A man needs a good mirror to scrutinize his heart as well as his face."
- "Always depend on people to think the worst."
- "Anger is the one thing made better by delay."
- "Any man can make a mistake; only a fool keeps making the same one."
- "Be careful about starting something you may regret."
- "Better late than never."
- "Don't whistle and drink at the same time."
- "Easy tears show treachery, not grief."
- "Everybody lives; not everybody deserves to."
- "Evil natures never lack teachers."
- "Even those who don't want to kill anybody would like the power to do it."
- "Fashion is more powerful than any tyrant."
- "Fear, not kindness, restrains the wicked."
- "Fortune is glass; just when it gleams brightest it shatters."
- "Glory is the shadow of virtue."
- "God rewards virtue; he shouldn't have to furnish it."
- "Good sense, not age, brings wisdom."
- "He who is everywhere is nowhere."
- "Honesty is praised while it starves."
- "It is best to do favors for people with good memories."
- "It is dangerous to guard something everybody wants."
- "It is very important if a man is wise or only looks it."
- "If fortune wants to do you in, she makes you stupid."
- "If the wind will not serve, take to the oars."
- "It's too late to ask advice when danger comes."
- "It is stupid to complain about misfortune that is your own fault."
- "It is better to profit by a horrible example than to be one."
- "It is better to trust in courage than luck."
- "Laugh at life; don't cry over it."
- "Life is short, but troubles make it longer."
- "Lust wants whatever it can have."
- "Men easily believe what they want to."
- "Money should be mastered, not served."
- "Nobody underestimates his own troubles."
- "Nothing dries sooner than tears."
- "Nothing moves faster than gossip."
- "Nothing is so well fortified that money cannot caputre it."
- "No man loses honor who had any in the first place."
- "Speech is given to many; intelligence to few."
- "The bigger the undertaking, the trickier it is."
- "The man you want to keep bound to you should be chained by food and drink."
- "The man who inspects the saddle blanket instead of the horse is stupid; most stupid is the man who judges another man by his clothes or his circumstances."
- "There is no point in seeking a remedy for a thunderbolt."
- "The great thing is to know when to speak and when to keep quiet."
- "The silence of a stupid man looks like wisdom."
- "The time will come when looking in the mirror grieves you, and that grief will be another cause of wrinkles."
- "Thrift is misery with a good press agent."
- "Whatever you want to teach, be brief."
- "When healthy, we all have wonderful advice for the sick."
- "What you didn't hope for happens more often than what you hoped for."
- "When you have just climbed out of a deep well and are perched on top, you are in the greatest danger of falling in again."
- "What hurt him most was his outrageous opinion of his own worth."
- "We turn virtues upside down and want to soil a clean vessel. If any honest man lives among us, we call him slow and stupid."
- "When a bad man pretends to be good, he's at his worst."
- "You ought to watch whatever you can lose."
You Should Also Read:
Editor's Picks Articles
Top Ten Articles
Content copyright © 2021 by Danielle Hollister. All rights reserved.
This content was written by Danielle Hollister. If you wish to use this content in any manner, you need written permission. Contact Nicole Cardillo for details.