Deck Of Cards
This is a story about a soldier in the North Africa Campaign in World War II. After heavy fighting the men returned to camp. The next day being Sunday, the Chaplain had set up church service. The men were asked to take out their Bibles or prayer book. The Chaplain noticed one soldier looking at a deck of cards. After the service he was taken by the Chaplain to see the Major. The Chaplain explained to the Major of what he had seen.
The Major told the young soldier how he would have to be punished if he could not explain himself. The young soldier told the Major that during the battle he had neither a Bible or prayer book so he would use his deck of cards and explained...
...And so the young soldier then said to the Major, "You see Sir that my intentions were honorable. My deck of cards serves as my Bible, Prayer book and Almanac."
- "You see Sir, when I look at the Ace, it tells me that there is one God and no other.
- When I see the 2 , it reminds me there is two parts of the Bible, the Old and New Testaments.
- The 3 tells me of the Trinity, of God the Father, God the Son and God the Holy Spirit.
- The 4 reminds me of the four Gospels, There was Matthew, Mark, Luke and John.
- When I see the 5, it tells me of the five unwise virgins who were lost and five were saved.
- The 6 makes me mindful that God created the earth in just six days, and God said that it was good so He rested on the 7th day.
- As I look at the 8, God destroyed all life by water except eight people. There was Noah and his wife, their three sons and their wives.
- When I see the 9, I think of the nine lepers that God healed. There were ten in all but only one stopped to Thank Him.
- The 10 tells me of the "Ten Commandments" carved in stone by the hand of God.
- The Jack makes me remember the prince of darkness. Like a roaring lion that devours those he can.
- When I look at the Queen, I see blessed Mary, Mother of Jesus.
- As I look at the last card I see the KING, this reminds me Jesus is the Lord of Lords and King of Kings!
- There are 365 spots on the cards, the number of days in a year.
- There are 52 cards to a deck, the number of weeks in a year.
- There are 12 picture cards, the number of months in a year.
- There are 4 suite, the number of seasons of the year.
- There are 13 cards to a suit, the total number of apostles (including Matthias)."
A deck of cards should most importantly remind us that we need JESUS 365 days, 52 weeks and 12 months a year and that we should PRAY "4" others.
May you never look at a deck of cards the same way.
~~ Author Unknown ~~
You Should Also Read:
Make The Most Of Every Day
Walk Beside Me
Editor's Picks Articles
Top Ten Articles
Content copyright © 2019 by Danielle Hollister. All rights reserved.
This content was written by Danielle Hollister. If you wish to use this content in any manner, you need written permission. Contact Nicole Cardillo for details.