Guest Author - Evelyn Rainey
So You Want to Write About Veterans
Do you have a story you’d like to tell about your years in service? How about a research paper you did on a famous veteran that you are very proud of? Would you care to share some advice with other veterans on dealing with a civilian world? How do you feel the government is dealing with Veterans? I want to hear from you. Actually, I want to publish you!
I am seeking well-written non-fiction articles that would be of interest to veterans. I would like to feature some by guest authors over the next year.
1. Articles must be original and adhere with the Copyright Laws of 2009 (I will check it against plagiarism)
2. Articles must be about veterans or of interest to veterans
3. Articles must be factual and include a minimum of three references from separate sources.
4. Word count between 850 and 1100 – firm
5. You as the original author retain all rights
6. Since I do not get paid for this column (YES, I do this for free because I have such great respect and admiration for veterans), I am not able to pay the guest authors for publishing their articles. But being published on the BellaOnline Veteran’s column is a great addition to aspiring writers’ Author Bios.
7. Submitted article must obviously fall under one of the categories listed to the side of the featured articles on the main Veterans site (see below for list of categories and explanations for each)
8. Submission must be sent by email to
VETERANS (at) EVELYN-RAINEY (dot) COM
a. In the Subject line, list the category your article will fall under.
b. In the body of the letter, list the following information
i. Your full name and military branch/rank and years of service (if applicable)
ii. Author Bio (no more than 50 words)
iii. Skip three lines
iv. Title of your article
v. Skip six lines
vi. Your article in Times New Roman or Century Gothic size 12 or greater
c. If accepted for publication, I as the Veteran Editor/columnist, reserve the right to change the title and up to 5% of the content for grammar/mechanics purposes only. (Any more than 5% and your article most likely will not be chosen for publication)
d. Submissions sent with attachments will be deleted UNREAD and UNRESPONDED TO. Check to make sure that your email does not have a stationery background included – that comes across as an attachment and will be deleted.
e. Submissions sent without attachments will be acknowledged within one week and responded to within one month.
Bragging Rights -- Nothing wrong with bragging about the best of the best. Brag about a veteran or branch of the service, platoon, battalion, or base.
Comrades in Arms – Tell us about Social Organizations, Reunions, Museums and various other ways to continue the camaraderie.
Cup of Joe - Articles of general interest to veterans to ponder over a cup of joe.
Military Brats -- Adjusting to civilian life, educational opportunities and scholarship for Children of Veterans
No Man Left Behind -- Charities and organizations which assist veterans and their families
Protect and Defend -- Advisory Committees and political legislation affecting veterans. Give us factual information or give us your opinion about what’s going on right now. Make sure you make it clear – fact or opinion.
Shore Leave – Write a Review of Books, Movies, Short Stories, Humor, Poetry, and Vacation Sites of Special Interest to Veterans.
Sick Bay -- Health Issues directly related to veterans and their families
Signal Corp – Review a favorite Veterans website
Wonderful Women Veterans -- Women who have shaped the history of the Military (they need not officially be classified as a veteran)
World Wide -- Information about veterans from countries all over the world
I look forward to hearing from you and even more to publishing some of you as Guest Authors on this site for Veterans!!