Consider creative perspectives on adversity...
- "We must make friends in prosperity if we would have their help in adversity."
- "Education is an ornament in prosperity and a refuge in adversity."
- "Prosperity is not without many fears and disasters; and adversity is not without comforts and hopes."
- "Adversity has the same effect on a man that severe training has on the pugilist: it reduces him to his fighting weight."
- "You never know how a horse will pull until you hook him to a heavy load."
- "All the adversity I've had in my life, all my troubles and obstacles, have strengthened me... You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you."
- "There is no education like adversity."
- "Adversity is the trial of principle. Without it, a man hardly knows whether he is honest or not."
- "In times of stress and adversity, it’s always best to keep busy, to plow your anger and your energy into something quite positive."
- "There is in every woman’s heart a spark of heavenly fires, which lies dormant in the broad daylight of prosperity; but which kindles up, and beams and blazes in the dark hour of adversity."
- "Adversity is the foundation of virtue."
- "Adversity not only draws people together but brings forth that beautiful inward friendship, just as the cold winter forms ice-figures on the window panes which the warmth of the sun effaces."
- "Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."
- "Let us be of good cheer, however, remembering that the misfortunes hardest to bear are those which never come."
--James Russell Lowell
- "Concentration is a fine antidote to anxiety."
- "I never met with a single instance of adversity which I have not in the end seen was for my good-- I have never heard of a Christian on his deathbed complaining of his afflictions."
--Alexander M. Proudfit
- "We sometimes need adversity to fathom our true depths."
- "One who gains strength by overcoming obstacles possesses the only strength which can overcome adversity.~ Albert Schweitzer
- "Gold is tried in fire, and acceptable men in the furnace of adversity."
- "Sweet are the uses of adversity.""
- "Case in point: Take adversity and make it an asset."
- "Adversity cause some men to break; others to break records."~ William A. Ward
- "One likes people much better when they're battered down by a prodigious siege of misfortune than when they triumph."
--Virginia Woolf, A Writer's Diary, 1954
- "Sometimes adversity is what you need to face in order to become successful."
"The block of granite which was an obstacle on the path of the weak, becomes a stepping stone in the path of the strong."
The Art of Learning:
A Journey in the Pursuit of Excellence by Josh Waitzkin
This site needs an editor - click to learn more!
You Should Also Read:
A Friend Like You...
Editor's Picks Articles
Top Ten Articles
Content copyright © 2018 by Danielle Hollister. All rights reserved.
This content was written by Danielle Hollister. If you wish to use this content in any manner, you need written permission. Contact BellaOnline Administration for details.