Guest Author - Donna Coogan
Pumpkins are synonymous with fall decor and that makes them the perfect Thanksgiving accent for decorating your home this season. One way to make your pumpkins more festive is to paint them in a variety of styles or designs. For easy instructions and decorating ideas to use painted pumpkins in your home this year, see below:
1. Choose a pumpkin in the shape of your choice.
2. Clean your pumpkin with a soft bristle brush, being careful not to damage the skin.
3. Pat dry with a paper towel.
4. Seal your pumpkin with an all-purpose sealer like latex primer.
5. Paint your pumpkin with the base color of your choice in latex or acrylic paint; let dry.
6. Draw further designs on the base coat with a chalk pen.
7. Fill in the chalk designs with acrylic paint.
8. After the acrylic paint dries, spray clear sealer to protect your designs.
9. Finally if you like, add embellishments.
Your imagination is the limit on painting pumpkins and the results can range from subtle to dramatic. Experiment with paint pens, permanent markers, spray paints, etc. in lieu of acrylic paints. Brush on geometric designs, stripes or polka dots; embellish with glitter, gems, pushpins and jewelry; adorn with silly hats, festive ribbons and bows.
Once youíve painted your pumpkins look for ways to decorate them throughout your home. Place them along the fireplace mantel or on every other step of your stairway. Group various sizes at your front entrance. Use them alone or arrange them with other natural elements like greenery, pinecones and walnuts. Intersperse with lighted candles or tuck between stacks of books to dress up your usual day-to-day decor.
Painted pumpkins can be mixed in with other painted gourds to create a fabulous Thanksgiving centerpiece for the dining table. Enhance each place setting with miniature pumpkins painted with a word that represents something you're thankful for like "family," "health," "home." You might also use your mini pumpkins as place-cards by writing the names of your guests on them with paint pens or permanent markers.
Painting pumpkins is a fun activity that can easily be done in an afternoon. Keep in mind that while pumpkins arenít a permanent decoration, they can last for several months. With that in mind, you may want to design a few for your Christmas and New Years decor, too.