|Project Information-- • Skill level-Basic • AdobeR InDesignR CS2|
In this tutorial, we will add a cover image to the rest of your InDesign ebook file. This image may be in several formats including the PhotoshopR, bitmap and PDF formats.
1. Open your ebook file into the InDesign workspace. (File > Open)
2. From the Pages Palette, click on the first page of your ebook.
3. Click on the small arrow at the top left of the Pages Palette which will open the menu and choose Insert Pages to open the Insert Pages dialog box. Set the number of Pages to be added to one. Next, set the Insert drop-down list to Before Page. Finally, there should already be a number one in the box to the right. This tells the program to add a new blank page before the first page of your ebook. When you are finished, click OK.
You should now have a new blank page at the front of your ebook upon which we will place the cover image. For the next step, we are assuming that this cover image is already in the correct size for your ebook.
4. We will use the Place command to import your cover image into the ebook. Click File > Place to open the Place dialog box. Navigate to the folder that contains your cover image and double click on the image file.
5. Put your mouse over the blank page and you will see that the cursor has changed to look somewhat like a square. Line up the cursor with the top left corner of the blank page and click. Your cover image will be placed within the blank page.
6. If the cover is not centered on the page or is not in the correct size, you will need to make some adjustments. You can use the eight bounding box handles, which look like small squares along the edges of the image, to resize the image or click on the image and drag it into the correct position.
7. Click File > Save to save the changes to your ebook file.
AdobeR product screen shot(s) reprinted with permission from Adobe Systems Incorporated. AdobeR, BridgeR, IllustratorR, InDesignR, PhotoshopR, PhotoshopR AlbumTM and FlashR are either registered trademarks or trademarks of Adobe Systems Incorporated in the United States and/or other countries.