Greek Delicacies You Must Try
Not sure what is right for you? The following list of starters, main courses and desserts should give you a good idea of typical Greek cuisine that is very popular and full of flavour.
• Dolmas or dolmades – These are stuffed grape leaves which are usually filled with rice but can include different ingredients such as ground meat
• Grilled eggplant (aubergine) served with a tzatziki dip. Tzatziki consists of yoghurt and cucumber and makes an ideal accompaniment to a wide range of meals, including grilled meats, fish, salads and other vegetables
• Hummus is made from chickpeas and tastes great when served with fresh pita bread. Alternatively, it works well in a salad with olives and feta cheese
• Moussaka is likened to lasagne and is made with layers of potato, eggplant, ground meat and tomato sauce
• Gyros meat is cooked on a vertical spit and proves to be very tasty served in pita bread and topped with yoghurt
• Stuffed peppers or tomatoes with couscous. This is a dish that can be used as a small starter or larger main course
• Spanakopita – a spinach pie that is commonly made using phyllo pastry which is very simple to make but is a real crowd pleaser
• Greek yoghurt is great on its own as a simple dessert but you could add some honey or incorporate it with a mixture of fresh fruit
• Baklava is a wonderful and traditional dessert that is made using phyllo pastry and includes nuts and honey. Greek baklava is said to consist of 33 layers of pastry which relates to the years of Christ’s life
These are just a few suggestions that you should definitely try at some point and there are plenty of other great traditional Greek meals which are just waiting to be discovered.
You will find that most of these dishes will have different variations and may include alternative ingredients but this is one factor that has made Greek cuisine so popular across the world.
This site needs an editor - click to learn more!
Editor's Picks Articles
Top Ten Articles
Content copyright © 2018 by Clare Stubbs. All rights reserved.
This content was written by Clare Stubbs. If you wish to use this content in any manner, you need written permission. Contact BellaOnline Administration for details.