In this book Dr. Micheal B. Schachter, explain how those who suffer from depression/related disorders can find relief naturally, safely, effectively, and without medication. Dr. Micheal B. Schachter is the author of "What Your Doctor May Not Tell You About™ Depression"
The first sentence in the books introduction
“As sit down to write this book, the Food and drug administration (FDA) has just approved another antidepressant.”--Michael B. Schachter, M.D. 'What Your Doctor May Not Tell You About™ Depression'
Dr. Schachter, Your feelings on the above statement
Dr. Schachter: While the good intentions of those who work diligently to find remedies for the millions of people who suffer with depression may be commendable, I remain unimpressed.
The reason is?
Dr. Schachter: Psychotropic drugs are not the complete answer to the critical and growing problems of depression, In fact, I believe that in some ways they contribute to it.
How much of a problem is depression in the United States?
Dr. Schachter: The following facts are sobering:
- Depression affects more than nineteen million Americans in a given year
- Ten percent of young people are depressed
- Major depression is the leading cause of disability in the Untied States
- Depression cost an estimated $40 billion each year in lost production, medical cost, and loss of life
- In 2003, US doctors wrote 213 million prescriptions for antidepressants
- Many people who are prescribed antidepressants stop taking them because the side effects are too debilitating
- Journal of the American Medical Association, June 18, 2003-found the people with major depression who sought help, only 22 percent received adequate treatment. (Primarily of antidepressant drugs)
Dr. Schachter: There is an approach to helping people with depression that has largely been ignored by conventional psychiatry. It is a natural, biofriendly approach called orthomolecular psychiatry-the practice of treating psychological problems by providing the body with optimal amounts of substance that are natural to it-including amino acids, vitamins and minerals, trace elements, and essential fatty acid-combining with positive lifestyle habits and mind-body therapies.
Does this natural approach really work?
Dr. Schachter: I has seen proof of it every day at my center, the Schachter Center for Complementary Medicine in Suffern, New York. You don’t need to come to Suffern to win your battle against depression, but you do need to take your healing process into your own hands, and that’s what I can help you do with this book. "What Your Doctor May Not Tell You About™ Depression"
As a complement to Alternative Medicine Bellaonline Readers, Dr. Schachter has provided information on Basics of a Healthful, Antidepression Diet from his book "What Your Doctor May Not Tell You About™ Depression"
Basics of a Healthful, Antidepression Diet "Positive Foods"
Antidepression Diet "Foods to Avoid"
What Your Doctor May Not Tell You About™ Depression By Michael B. Schachter, MD, with Deborah Mitchell.