Guest Author - Kim O´Shea
If you are new to eBay you may not realise how big an impact the fees can have on your business. As with all costs these have to be taken into account when calculating your profit. The high level of fees can make it difficult to earn a profit when you are a newbie and this can lead to below cost selling i.e. making a loss. While building feedback is very important, making a profit is also crucial.
eBay have recently announced changes to their fee structure which should help to reduce costs.
eBay Everyday Standard Rates – Under this new scheme you can list up to 100 auction items per month and pay only if the items sell.
• Listings must start under $1.
• For other start prices over a dollar reduced insertion fees apply.
• Pay 9% final value fee only if the item sells. This applies to listings both under and over a dollar.
• Pay no more than $50 for final value fees.
• List as Fixed Price for 50c and pay same final value fees as are currently being charged.
eBay Stores Subscription Packages – Fixed price from 3c with full search exposure and reduced rated for auctions.
• For 50 or more items listed per month.
• Final fees to remain similar to current fees.
• Free pictures – up to 12 per listing.
• Current store inventory listings will automatically become fixed price listings and will renew at the new rate.
• Will appear in search results with all other listings.
• Basic package with 20c insertion fees starts at $15.95 per month. There are three packages to choose from, Basic, Premium and Anchor depending on your level of sales.
• The current 5c listing fee promotion for books, music, movies, dvds and video games will continue until December 31st 2010.
Use the eBay fee illustrator to decide which system suits you best. Go to ebay.com, seller information, news and then click on the fee illustrator link. You will be asked to fill out a simple form with details of the types of categories you usually use, number of monthly listings, number of monthly sales, average selling price, number of pictures you usually use and if you are entitled to a discount. Hit the calculate button and check the fees you can expect to pay.
Whether you sell for business or pleasure these changes will help to make your Online Auction experience even easier and more user friendly.
Check it out and start selling!