Exercise Your Brain
To build up your reservoir of brain cells:
- Practice mentally-stimulating activities daily like take a class, work on a hobby, learn new dance steps or practice new physical fitness moves. Exercise your brain!
- Get creative and release your inner non-conformist. Non-conformists and people who express themselves naturally create cognitive reserve. You don’t have to always cross your t’s.
- Eat plenty of fruits and vegetables; fish, healthy fat like olive oil, and lean protein. The brain needs to be fed a healthy diet. In a recent study women who lost weight unintentionally were at a greater risk of getting Alzheimer’s Disease – in fact, undesired weight loss is often a predictor.
- Don’t smoke because smoking damages the cardiovascular system and hardens the arteries which affect the brain. Smokers are more likely to get Alzheimer’s Disease.
- Manage your stress. Stress hormones set off an inflammatory process that doesn’t just inflame your spirit, but your organs as well, specifically the cardiovascular system. Remember that head and heart are related.
Many Alzheimer’s patients do better than expected because of their cognitive reserve. While there is currently no cure, postponement and alleviating symptoms are a close second.
For more information about cognitive reserve and the role it plays in prevention or slowing the progression of Alzheimer’s click here to read an interview with Dr. Yaakov Stern in InVivo, the Columbia University Medical Center newsletter
For more information on caregiving please read my book, Changing Habits - The Caregivers' Total Workout, in particular Chapter 6 - What Is The Condition of Your House, Chapter 7 - The Difference Between Passion and Compulsion. To listen to archived radio shows with guest experts visit Turn On Your Inner Light Radio Show
This site needs an editor - click to learn more!
Editor's Picks Articles
Top Ten Articles
Content copyright © 2023 by Debbie Mandel. All rights reserved.
This content was written by Debbie Mandel. If you wish to use this content in any manner, you need written permission. Contact BellaOnline Administration for details.