Is your home decor looking a bit stale and tired? A bit dated perhaps? When your home starts to bore even you, then you know itís time for a change. Here are some simple ideas to freshen up your spaces in no time at all.
- Wake up your dated furnishings. Cover a vintage chair with a fresh contemporary fabric or paint an old dresser a bold and vivid hue. True antiques have their place, but be aware when itís time to resuscitate your furniture.
- Add some fun patterns to your home. Polka dots, geometric shapes or over-sized prints can make a room feel more youthful, vibrant and alive. To avoid overwhelming your room with them, use in small portions like on throw pillows, an ottoman or area rug.
- Transform the ordinary into the extraordinary. Today, more than ever, people are upcycling, repurposing and finding ways to reinvent things in their home. An unused teapot or stack of old books can be made into a lamp with a lamp kit. An old mirror can become a family message center by turning it into a magnetic chalkboard with specialty paints. Consider how you might repurpose some of the things you already own for a fresh new approach to your decor.
- Find interesting ways to add architectural interest in your home. Instead of the usual panels, use 2x4s, picket fences or lattice panels to create interesting wainscoting. Consider similar techniques for your ceiling. Look for innovative ways to introduce moulding to your cabinets or fireplace.
- Grab your brushes and stencil your ceiling in a wonderful pattern. Paint a bold hue on your stairs for an unexpected surprise. Find ways to enhance focal points that were fading into the background with a fresh new color. Paint the inside of your cabinets a delicious eye-popping red or whatever hue that makes you smile.