Guest Author - Kara Williams
Honeymooners have dozens of resorts to choose from on Maui, but one I'd personally recommend is the Westin Maui Resort & Spa in Ka'anapali. This is a four-diamond property, where I spent three glorious nights earlier this year. Here are 10 reasons why I think it would make a fabulous honeymoon hotel:
1. It's less than an hour from the airport. Fly into Kahului, pick up your rental car (I suggest having your own wheels on Maui for sightseeing) and soon you'll be relaxing by the Westin Maui's pool, walking the beach, or enjoying Mai Tais at your hotel bar.
2. The resort has a Director of Romance. How cool is that?! This dedicated staffer is on hand to help couples plan their destination wedding, honeymoon or intimate couples dinner (see #3).
3. You can arrange a romantic dining experience. Choose from packages like the "Sunset Renewal Champagne Breakfast" or the "Ka'anapali Sunset Dinner" with intimate seating outside, and a private staff that waits on you.
4. Each room or suite features the all-white, plush Heavenly Bed. This includes a custom-designed pillow-top mattress set, deluxe sheets, comfy pillows and decadent duvet. Need I say more?
5. It's next door to Whalers Village Just a few steps down a winding paved walkway, and you'll find yourselves at a small shopping and dining complex. I recommend Leilani's beachside grill for dinner -- sunset views from the outdoor seating area are fabulous.
6. The adults-only pool. The Westin Maui is appealing to families, so you can expect little ones on the property. But you can certainly find some quiet space, too, such as at the adults-only pool and the Heavenly Spa (see #7). The entire network of pools - set among lush foliage - is 87,000 square feet!
7. The Heavenly Spa is heavenly. This 15,000-square-foot full-service spa features 16 treatment rooms, including two couples massage suites -- each with a whirlpool and candlelit ambiance. Simply sitting in the relaxation lounge, which smells like lavender, is heavenly.
8. The Wailele Polynesian Luau. This excellent celebration is held twice weekly, with native-dance performances, plus the island's only five-member fire-knife group. The multi-course dinner is delish, served family style at round tables. Enjoy the open bar!
9. Ka'anapali Beach. The location of the resort is excellent, literally steps away from the white sand.
10. Honeymoon packages. The resort offers a five-night "Honeymoon & Romance" package that includes strawberries and champagne on arrival, couple's massage and daily buffet breakfast. While the Garden View rooms are less expensive, if you can swing it, splurge on the Ocean View -- truly, the sunsets from these room windows are breathtaking.