Quick, Easy, Individual Omelets
Breakfast on camping trips with a troop (or den) of boys is always an interesting experience. Everyone wants to eat something warm. Everyone wants something different. No one wants to clean up dishes, pots or pans. Does this sound like a typical breakfast problem?
Have no fear. I have just received what might be the simplest and most flexible breakfast recipe ever. Individual omelets. Doesn’t sound easy but this is really neat. Each omelet is cooked in a one quart zip lock bag that is dropped in a pot of boiling water. No mess. No fuss. Minimal clean up.
Scouts and leaders get to decide what they want in their own omelet. Lay out whatever optional ingredients seem appropriate- cheese, green peppers, onions, bacon bits, tomatoes, jalapeños, whatever fits the group’s taste.
Here is the process:
- Bring a large pot of water to a rolling boil.
- Have each person write his name on a ONE QUART ZIPLOCK FREEZER BAG in permanent marker.
- Crack 2 eggs (no more than 2) into the bag and shake and squeeze to scramble. If the eggs don’t get mixed well, there will be white and yellow parts of the omelet.
- Each person selects the optional ingredients to be placed in his omelet. Mix thoroughly.
- Make sure the air is out of the bag and seal it tightly.
- Place bags into the boiling water for 13 minutes. Six or eight bags can be cooked at one time in a large pot. To cook more bags, start an additional pot of water.
- Cut the bags and serve.
- Add a piece of fruit and there is a great breakfast.
I couldn’t believe that something this simple would work, but it does. What a great breakfast. Once the water is boiling it is 13 minutes until people are eating. Everyone gets the omelet of his choice. Clean up consist so disposing of the Ziplock bags and putting away the left over ingredients.
Give this recipe a try and let me know what you think. If you have any other recipes like this let me know and we will share them with the group.
This site needs an editor - click to learn more!
Editor's Picks Articles
Top Ten Articles
Content copyright © 2023 by Erik Moeller. All rights reserved.
This content was written by Erik Moeller. If you wish to use this content in any manner, you need written permission. Contact BellaOnline Administration for details.