Books & Music
Food & Wine
Health & Fitness
Hobbies & Crafts
Home & Garden
News & Politics
Religion & Spirituality
Travel & Culture
TV & Movies
We are all search of fabulous style that not only speaks to us, but also reflects who we are and our attitude. For some of us there is no better way to accomplish this then a little bit of vintage retail therapy.
Vintage shopping is the perfect mix of bargain hunting and unique style blending that will give you the freedom to create a wardrobe that is 100% you. Now before you get started on your vintage fashion hunt there are just a few things you need to know to avoid fashion duds and come home a vintage fashion champion.
1. Know that vintage usually means clothes that were made at least 30 to 40 years ago (so think 1960 to 1970) so take your time when selecting your style and be careful with the itchy, scratchy, heat retaining material of those eras. My big rule when vintage shopping is cotton is comfort.
2. Whether it’s haute couture, tailored style, disco, boho chic or glamour it is very important to know your favorite fashion era. This will help you to own your style and embrace the uniqueness that is you.
3. Make sure you try on clothes. Sizing has changed quite a bit over time so make sure you check the fit before you leave the store so that you are not disappointed when you get home.
4. Always inspect your vintage finds for damage, stains, odors, moth or insect holes, fading and missing accents/embellishments. Many vintage shops do not entertain the idea of returns.
5. Don’t be afraid to mix your vintage finds with your fab new fashions. Own your style and make it speak when you enter a room.
6. When making a purchase be open to alterations. Sometimes that skirt, shirt or blazer would be “perfect” with an extra stitch or two.
7. Last but not least be sure to know your vintage shops. Don’t be afraid to ask questions about the owner’s knowledge on all things vintage and don’t just zero in on vintage shops try to visit thrift stores, consignment shops and flea markets. This will help you to cast a wide fashion net.
The best advice I can give you about vintage shopping is to have FUN, be open minded to whatever happens to catch your eye and remember that fashion and flexibility go hand and hand.
Keep it Simple and Sexy
| Related Articles | Editor's Picks Articles | Top Ten Articles | Previous Features | Site Map
Content copyright © 2013 by Tamira Williams. All rights reserved.
This content was written by Tamira Williams. If you wish to use this content in any manner, you need written permission. Contact Tamira Williams for details.
Website copyright © 2013 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.