Parish Missions, sometimes called parish retreats, are valuable tools in renewing our spiritual life. Oftentimes parish missions are offered during the Season of Lent. Typically a parish mission, or parish retreat, will last three or four evenings generally a Monday through Wednesday or Thursday. Most often the priest giving the parish mission will preach at the weekend Masses prior to the mission. Many priests who speak at parish missions travel throughout the nation doing just that so you can be sure they are good at what they do!
If your parish is offering a parish mission or retreat this Lenten season, I highly recommend you consider taking time out of your busy schedule for yourself to attend. Over the years I have attended countless parish missions and retreats, and I can assure you that you will be richly blessed by the experience.
What can you hope to gain from attending a parish mission or retreat?
- A deeper understanding of Sacred Scripture Many times the priest giving the mission centers his talks on scripture passages and relates them to everyday life.
- A deeper understanding and strengthening of our faith Whatever the topic of the parish mission, you are sure to strengthen your own faith through attendance.
- Grace Most of the time God will grant you a certain grace (this will vary person to person, depending on what you need from the experience) through attending a parish mission or retreat.
- Fellowship Throughout the parish mission or retreat you will share in fellowship with your fellow parishioners and mission attendees.
- Relax and Reflect A parish mission is a time to step back from your busy life and relax with our Lord, and reflect in his life and his plan for your life.
- A deeper relationship with Jesus Through relaxing and reflecting youll deepen your relationship in your own walk with Jesus.
- A priceless experience Through a parish mission or retreat you will be giving yourself a valuable spiritual gift like no other.
So if your parish will be offering a parish mission or retreat this Lenten season, I urge you to make the time in your schedule to attend. You will not be sorry! And if your parish isnt holding a parish mission or retreat, Id strongly suggest you check around neighboring parishes to see if you can find one in your area. It will be time well spent.
Peace in Christ,
© Melissa Knoblett-Aman