Guest Author - Chinedum Ify Obikili
You do your best as parents to keep your kids on the right track. You train them to become decent kids because you want your kids to turn out right. However, there is always a boy at school who tells your son otherwise, there is always a girl or group of girls who tell your girl being sassy and rude is the only way to get recognized. Exactly how do you protect your children from external interferences, how do you prevent external factors from ruining your hard work? Would you shut them out from the world or shut the world on them? The answer is no. You do not have the right to do that. Here, however, is what you should do in addition to the values you may have thought them.
1. Teach the morals of Responsibility: Repeatedly remind your kids that they are responsible for their actions whether good or bad. And that every bad action comes with repercussions. Encourage them to build good images wherever they go, and to always remember who they are, wherever they find themselves.
2. Train them to be independent in their thoughts: Always let your children know that they are responsible for their thoughts and as such should not let themselves be swayed by other people's thoughts and opinions. Remind them they have an enviable background and should not allow anyone convince them otherwise.
3. Know their friends: Get more involved in their lives by getting to know their friends, whether at school or back home. A good way to do this would be to encourage them to invite their friends home. That way you get to learn about the kind of friends your children keep. If you consider their friends bad influences, look for smart and creative way to dissolve this association.
4. Be conscious of your neighborhood: There are neighborhoods that are not children friendly. But, if you find yourself in such neighborhood for reasons beyond your control, donít despair, you can raise decent kids even from a not -so -decent neighborhood. I for one didnít particularly grow up in a wonderful neighborhood. But we all turned out right, (my siblings and me) because mom kept us engage with one creative activity or another, outside of our school work.
5. Introduce your kids to books: Getting your kids to love books and become readers, is a good way of occupying their spare time. Good books have a beautiful way of shaping our minds and prompting our imaginations to become creative. With a creative mind, your kids would naturally have nothing to do with idle groups in schools, and it will be difficult for them to be influenced negatively.
6. Be watchful: If you are watchful, you'd almost immediately notice when your kid is beginning to stray, you will be able to help him or her before they get worse.
Finally, keep in mind that there is only little you can do to control your kids' involvement with people around them. But you can ensure that they learn how to differentiate good from bad.