Rubber Stamp Glossary

Rubber Stamp Glossary
Brayer – A tool used for different art and paint techniques that has different wheels on a handle. It is used for several different techniques in rubber stamping.

Acetate – a thin clear plastic that can be folded, stamped, and embossed.

Alcohol Inks – Inks with an alcohol base that blend well together and dry quickly. They work well non-porous surfaces, such as acetate and glossy cardstock.

Bleach stamping – A technique using household bleach to stamp images on dark paper, which will remove the color from the stamped image.

Brush markers – Any marker with a long, flexible tip.

Chalk Ink – Inks made with powdered chalk, which dry quickly and give a softer look than other inks. These are opaque inks and many can be used on dark cardstock.

Chalks – Usually some in assortments of flattened chalk. Great for many different stamping and background techniques.

Copic Markers – Alcohol based markers of high quality which can be used to color images and blend colors.

Crystal Lacquer – Liquid that creates a glossy raised surface when dried. You can get this in clear or in many different colors, metallics, pearlescent, and glitters.

Cushion – In stamping, it’s the foam part between the rubber and the wood block on a stamp.

Diamond Glaze – A product which gives a glossy raised appearance to your work.

Die – The part of the stamp used to stamp your image.

Distress – Any technique used to add an aged look to paper such as sanding or giving the edges a used look.

Double Stick Tape – Tape that is sticky on both sides. It can have a foam center or be flat. Both are great for many different applications.

Dry Embossing – Making a raised image by using a stylus and tracing a stencil placed under your paper. There are also several machines out there that can create intricate embossed patterns with the different templates available.

DTP – Direct to paper

Dye Based Ink – Quick drying ink that is usually permanent. Do not get this wet unless you want to alter your image somewhat. Works well in either glossy or regular cardstock. These are usually not opaque and will not show up well on dark cardstock.

Embossing – Any technique that raises or lowers the image on a surface.

Embossing Ink – Any ink (usually pigment) from a stamp pad that is applied with a rubber stamp and that adheres embossing powder to the paper. Available in many colors.

Embossing Powder – Powder used for heat embossing that creates a raised image on paper when melted with a heat source, usually a heat gun. It comes in many colors and textures.

Foils – Used in stamping, these are any colored foils that can be applied to paper with glue, giving a shiny raised image when done.

Handmade Paper – Any paper which is not made through mechanical means. Easy to do with on your own, or you can find handmade paper for purchase in many art or craft stores.

Masking – A technique used to stamp images over one another without showing the overlapped part of one of the images.

Mounted Stamp – Any stamp that is permanently adhered to a handle or wood block, or acrylic block.

Paper Crimper – A tool used to make impressions on paper, usually a corrugated look.

Paper paint – A paint that gives the impression of handmade paper when applied.

Paperclay – Clay that can be shaped and stamped on when either air dried or baked.

Plate - A sheet of several unmounted stamps that have yet to be cut apart.

Pigment Ink – An ink which is formulated to stay wet longer than other inks. On non-porous surfaces it must be heat embossed or it will not dry. These are opaque inks and can be used on many dark surfaces.

Prismacolor Markers – Alcohol based markers of high quality which can be used to color images. They blend with each other well.

Stippling – A paint technique requiring a stiff short bristled brush used to “tap” a design into a surface. Works well with stencils.

Stylus – A tool with a rounded tip on the end used to dry emboss.

Unmounted stamps – Dies which have not been mounted to foam or handle.

UTEE – Ultra Thick Embossing Enamel

Vellum – A thin, translucent paper.

Watercolor pencils – Pencils which will blend with water giving a watercolor look to your work. You can either color and then wet with a brush, or wet the tip of the pencils to achieve these effects.

This site needs an editor - click to learn more!

Related Articles
Editor's Picks Articles
Top Ten Articles
Previous Features
Site Map

Content copyright © 2022 by Sarah Roop. All rights reserved.
This content was written by Sarah Roop. If you wish to use this content in any manner, you need written permission. Contact BellaOnline Administration for details.