Minding your manners is always a good idea in any situation but this is especially so when it comes to dating. Knowing how to demonstrate good etiquette while on a date can sometimes mean the difference between getting and not getting an opportunity for future dates with that person. Though much of it is common sense and comes easily for people who are naturally considerate of others, reviewing the tips below prior to your next date can help to ensure that you will be prepared and at the top of your dating game.
Dating Etiquette Tips:
Dating Etiquette Tips:
- Always keep your word - If you make arrangements to meet up with your date on a certain day and time, be sure to stick to the plan. Never leave your date hanging by showing up late or not showing up at all. If you absolutely cannot make it as promised, do the right thing by letting your date know that you are running late or rescheduling for another time. The same goes for statements that you may make to your date. Never say anything that you don’t really mean or make promises that you don’t plan to actually fulfill.
- Be kind and considerate - Whether toward your date or toward others that you encounter while on a date, it is imperative that you always make it a point to be kind and considerate to others. This involves saying “please” and “thank you” when appropriate and treating people with respect.
- Embrace honesty and modesty - Nothing can ruin a date faster than someone who puts up a façade or comes across as highly arrogant. While you should definitely make an effort to put your best foot forward on a date, try to do so in a way that celebrates who you really are rather than in a way that seems fake or forced. Most people appreciate others with genuine character so don’t try to come off as something that you aren’t. Modesty is also important because arrogance is generally perceived as a turn off to most people. Keep in mind that there is a very thin line between confidence and arrogance. It’s perfectly acceptable (and even desirable) to be confident in yourself but try not to overdo it.
- Go easy on the alcohol - While downing a few rounds of liquid courage during a date might seem like a good way to wash away the nerves, it is also a good way to increase your chances of using poor judgment and possibly humiliating yourself or saying and doing things that you might later regret. If you feel absolutely compelled to drink during a date, you should at the very least try to keep it to a reasonable minimum.
- Keep conversation topics light - There is a time and a place for everything. Getting into heated discussions about controversial topics like politics or religion is not exactly great conversation material for a date. You should also try to avoid discussing exes and previous relationships until you have gone out with your partner a few time and feel more comfortable about opening up.
Editor's Picks Articles
Top Ten Articles
Content copyright © 2019 by Kristina de la Cal. All rights reserved.
This content was written by Kristina de la Cal. If you wish to use this content in any manner, you need written permission. Contact Bernardine Idioha-Chidozie for details.