October is the month of the Holy Rosary. Below are some facts and information about the Holy Rosary.
- According to tradition, St. Dominic spread the devotion to the Holy Rosary in the thirtheenth century.
- The Feast of the Blessed Virgin Mary of the Rosary is observed on October 7th.
- Pope Piux XI dedicated the month of October to the Rosary in the twentieth century.
- There are fifteen tradition Mysteries of the Rosary, grouped into three sets - the Joyful Mysteries (the Annunciation, the Visitation, the Nativity, the Presentation in the Temple, the Finding in the Temple); the Sorrowful Mysteries (the Agony in the Garden, the Scourging, the Crowning with Thorns, the Carrying of the Cross, the Cruxifixion); the Glorious Mysteries (the Resurrection, the Ascension, the Descent of the Holy Spirit, the Assumption of Mary into Heaven, the Coronation of Mary).
- The Joyful Mysteries, the Sorrowful Mysteries, and the Glorious Mysteries were decided upon and finalized in the sixteenth century.
- In 2002, Pope John Paul II introduced the Luminous Mysteries, also know as the Mysteries of Light.
- The Luminous Mysteries are: the Baptism of Jesus, the Wedding of Cana, the proclamation of the Kingdom of God, the Transfiguration, the institution of the Eucharist.
- A traditional Rosary has fifteen decades. A decade refers to the ten small beads that precede one large bead, and each decade is associated with one mystery of the Rosary.
- Typically a five decade Rosary is said on a given occasion and usually different mysteries are reflected on based on the day of the week.
- There are many benefits of praying the rosary, including: reminds us to pray and helps focus our prayers, is pleasing to God, teaches us through the various mysteries prayed, deepens our faith, brings about grace and spiritual growth.
- Some other names for the Holy Rosary include: the Rosary, The Most Holy Rosary, the “Psalter of Mary,” the “prayer of the saints,” the Marian Rosary, “the beads,” and the “prayer weapon.”
- The Rosary has a crucifix, 59 beads, and oftentimes a centerpiece.
- The crucifix and the first five beads are known as the pendent of the Rosary.
- Praying the Rosary beads from right to left or left to right is perfectly okay.
- The word Rosary means “crown of roses.”
For more information about the Holy Rosary, click to read my previous article: Month of the Holy Rosary.
October is also Respect Life month.
The Rosary Handbook: A Guide for Newcomers, Old-Timers, and Those in Between -- Buy from Amazon
Peace in Christ,
© Melissa Knoblett-Aman