Looking for a flower name for your baby girl? Look no further -- below are a number of suggestions, in three general groupings. First, here are some "perennial" :) favorites:
- Daisy fell out of favor during the mid-1900s (especially 1940-1990), but has been recovering nicely.
- Erica was a top-100 name from the early 70s through the late 90s. It's more traditionally seen as the feminine form of Eric, but it also happens to be the Latin word for Heather. Speaking of Heather...
- Heather was a top-10 name from the early 70s through the late 80s, peaking at 3rd in 1975.
- Iris has seen consistent (if not terribly strong) usage for well over a century.
- Jasmine has been in the top 30 since 1989. Many alternative versions (such as Jasmin, Yasmin, Yasmine and Jasmyn) are also in the top 1,000.
- Lily, like Daisy, fell out of favor during the mid-1900s. It has since recovered, and now ranks 33rd and will likely continue to rise.
- Rose was extremely popular up until the WWII era. Nowadays, it's still given to nearly 1,000 baby girls every year.
- Violet fell off the charts in the 80s and 90s, but since reappearing, it has been skyrocketing in popularity.
Now let's move on to flower names that are a bit more exotic:
Camellia - Named for 17th-century Moravian botanist Georg Joseph Kamel.
Dahlia - Named for 18th-century Swedish botanist Anders Dahl.
Hyacinth - Other versions include Jacinta (Spanish) and Giacinta (Italian).
Linnea - Named for 18th-century Swedish botanist Carl von Linne.
Magnolia - Named for 17th-century French botanist Pierre Magnol.
Padma - Sanskrit for "lotus."
Poppy - Currently ranked 28th in England and Wales.
Zinnia - Named for 18th-century German botanist Johann Gottfried Zinn.
Finally, here are some edgier choices that are very rarely used as baby names:
Azalea, Begonia, Celandine
Celosia, Daffodil, Forsythia
Freesia, Gardenia, Geranium
Gloriosa, Kerria, Lantana
Lavender, Lilac, Lotus
Jonquil, Orchid, Wisteria
|10,000 Most Popular Baby Girl Names|
Want more than the top 100 or top 1,000 baby girl names? Here's a complete list of the 10,000 most popular baby girl names in the nation! Click to learn more.