Summer can be hard on your hair. Wind, humidity, chlorine, sun Ö
These can all be very frustrating when trying to enjoy the best of the season and still look your best. Read through the following ten tips to see what can be done to combat the elements and make this summer more stylish and enjoyable.
- Get regular trims. Even if you are growing your hair, a trim freshens ends, gets rid of frizz and makes your hairstyle flow better. Trim 1/2 to 3/4 inch per month to keep the same hair style. Trim only 1/8 inch to 1/4 inch every 6 to 8 weeks to grow your hair longer.
- Give your hair a break on casual summer days. After shampoo and conditioning, apply styling foam or glaze and comb it into a style using only your fingers. Then let your hair dry naturally.
- For great shine and manageability, use a clarifying shampoo every 2 weeks to thoroughly cleanse your hair of residue left by your styling products.
- Use a fabulous new conditioner Ė preferably after using the clarifying shampoo. It boosts shine and by repairing damage, it gives your hair more body.
- Give yourself a hair color boost by using a color pigmented shampoo. Choose yellow based shampoo to add golden tones to light hair. Choose red based shampoo for warm tones in brown hair. A light glow of color washes in and if you donít like it, it will be gone in a few shampoos.
- Change your shampoo and conditioner. If your hair goes limp in the summer heat, try body building products. If your hair gets frizzy, try moisturizing products. Sometimes different weather conditions call for different products.
- Outdoor activities donít cooperate with keeping your hair neat and tidy. Instead of using hairspray to keep your style, apply firm hold styling foam or spray gel at the front hairline, and dry with a hair dryer, to keep your hair back off your face.
- Windy days are hard on hairstyles. Try using power hold hairspray at the hairline only. It gives you some control over your hair while allowing the rest to move naturally with the breeze.
- If you are swimming in a chlorinated swimming pool, always wet your hair with tap water before entering the pool so that it canít absorb much of the damaging chemical. Then, be sure to shampoo as soon as you get out of the pool.
- For an emergency repair of a windblown or humidity destroyed hairstyle, slide your sunglasses in as a headband. You hair is transformed from a disaster to a stylish, casual summer style.