Banana Cream Cheese Coffee Cake Recipe
This cake is best, of course, warm from the oven, but it can be made ahead, frozen and reheated. It’s moist and delicious, and the official Hancock tasters loved it. This coffee cake isn’t too sweet, and it’s worth waiting for the bananas to get over-ripe.
3/4 cup sugar
6 tablespoons butter
2 ripe bananas
1/2 cup milk
1 1/2 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 8 oz. package cream cheese, softened
1/3 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/3 cup flour
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 tablespoons butter
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Spray an 8" or 9" square baking dish with non-stick spray.
- Cake: Place the sugar, butter, and bananas in a mixing bowl and mix on low speed until blended.
- Add the egg and milk; mix well.
- Measure the flour, baking powder, and salt into a fine strainer set over the banana mixture; shake the mixture through and mix on low speed until combined.
- Scrape the mixture into the prepared baking dish.
- Filling: Mix the cream cheese, sugar, egg, and vanilla until smooth (a food processor works well for this).
- Drop spoonfuls over the surface of the cake batter; use a knife to swirl the filling through the cake batter.
- Streusel Topping: Combine the flour, brown sugar, butter, cinnamon and nutmeg until crumbly; stir in the walnuts and sprinkle over the coffee cake.
- Bake for 35-45 minutes or until the cake is set in the middle.
- Remove from the oven and let sit 10 minutes before cutting into squares. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 370 Calories from Fat 170
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 46% Protein 6% Carb. 48%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 19 g
Saturated Fat 10 g
Cholesterol 78 mg
Sodium 308 mg
Total Carbohydrate 44 g
Dietary Fiber 0 g
Sugars 18 g
Protein 6 g
Vitamin A 13% Vitamin C 3% Calcium 0% Iron 6%
Editor's Picks Articles
Top Ten Articles
Content copyright © 2018 by Karen Hancock. All rights reserved.
This content was written by Karen Hancock. If you wish to use this content in any manner, you need written permission. Contact Karen Hancock for details.