Howl at the Moon(Pie) Trifle Recipe
The upside of this delicious trifle is that it is very easy, and can be made a day ahead. You can substitute strawberries or blueberries (or even canned mandarin oranges if fresh fruit isn’t available) for the raspberries, with jam and coffee syrup to match. Since authentic English trifle includes liqueur-soaked sponge cake, you can do the same with the moon pies instead of the coffee syrup as long as you won’t be serving children. My family prefers the non-alcoholic version.
2 3 oz. packages instant vanilla pudding
4 cups milk
1 cup heavy whipping cream
12 moon pies
1 cup raspberry jam
1/2 cup Raspberry Coffee syrup
2 pints fresh raspberries
1 cup sweetened whipped cream
Fresh mint leaves
- Mix the instant pudding and milk.
- Whip the cream to stiff peaks and gently fold into the pudding; refrigerate while preparing the moon pies.
- Lay six moon pies on a flat surface; spread the jam on each, dividing it equally.
- Top each with another moon pie; cut the stacks into quarters.
- Pour enough of the pudding over the bottom of a trifle bowl or pretty clear glass bowl to just cover.
- Arrange half of the moon pies over the pudding; pour a drizzle or two of raspberry coffee syrup over the moon pies.
- Pour half of the raspberries over, then half of the pudding.
- Arrange the remaining moon pies in the bowl; sprinkle with the remaining coffee syrup and most of the raspberries (save several for garnish).
- Pour the remaining pudding over all and smooth out.
- Cover the trifle with a piece of plastic wrap pressed down onto the pudding to prevent a skin forming.
- When ready to serve, pipe puffs of sweetened whipped cream decoratively over the pudding, press a fresh raspberry into each puff, and garnish with fresh mint.
- Once decorated, the trifle can be refrigerated for several hours before serving.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 348 Calories from Fat 133
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 38% Protein 5% Carb. 57%
Nutrient Amount per
Total Fat 15 g 23%
Saturated Fat 9 g 44%
Cholesterol 114 mg 38%
Sodium 184 mg 8%
Total Carbohydrate 49 g 16%
Dietary Fiber 1 g 4%
Sugars 12 g
Protein 4 g
Vitamin A 8% Vitamin C 15% Calcium 0% Iron 3%
Editor's Picks Articles
Top Ten Articles
Content copyright © 2019 by Karen Hancock. All rights reserved.
This content was written by Karen Hancock. If you wish to use this content in any manner, you need written permission. Contact Karen Hancock for details.