Slow Cooker English Christmas Pudding Recipe
This pudding is moist, and can easily be made in the slow cooker. It’s always served with a sauce – custard sauce is my favorite, but hard sauce, and brandy sauce are also popular. This pudding doesn’t contain any of that bitter citron, and can be glazed with a simple powdered sugar glaze, if you like. For those who like a boozy taste, this pudding can also be flambéed with a little brandy, which is also a tradition in the UK (drizzle it with brandy, and warm some additional brandy on a spoon, then light it and pour it over the pudding). It can also be made ahead and frozen, so it’s easy on the cook. No matter how you serve it, it will be a delicious dessert for Christmas dinner.
3/4 cup butter
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup orange marmalade
1 3/4 cups self-rising flour
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon mixed spice, or baking spice
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
1/2 cup Prepared Mincemeat, homemade or store-bought
- Prepare a standard pudding basin that fits in your slow cooker by spraying liberally with Baker's Joy or non-stick spray with a dusting of flour; spray the underside of a piece of foil with non-stick spray.
- Cream the butter and sugar until light; beat in the eggs and orange marmalade.
- Scrape the sides down and add the self-rising flour, cinnamon, mixed spice, and nutmeg; mix well.
- Spoon half of the mixture into the basin.
- Spoon half of the mincemeat over the batter and swirl.
- Top with the remaining batter, then the remaining mincemeat, then swirl again.
- Cover with the sprayed foil.
- Place in the slow cooker on a rack and pour boiling water over to come up about halfway.
- Cover the slow cooker, set to high, and let cook 3-4 hours or until the pudding is set.
- Carefully remove from the slow cooker and let sit about 15 minutes before unmolding onto a serving platter.
- The pudding can be frozen at this point if you like.
Serve wedges of the warmed pudding topped with custard, hard sauce, or ice cream.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 505 Calories from Fat 181
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 36% Protein 4% Carb. 60%
Nutrient Amount per
Total Fat 20 g
Saturated Fat 11 g
Cholesterol 126 mg
Sodium 204 mg
Total Carbohydrate 75 g
Dietary Fiber 1 g
Sugars 39 g
Protein 6 g
Vitamin A 15% Vitamin C 2% Calcium 0% Iron 5%
Editor's Picks Articles
Top Ten Articles
Content copyright © 2019 by Karen Hancock. All rights reserved.
This content was written by Karen Hancock. If you wish to use this content in any manner, you need written permission. Contact Karen Hancock for details.