Southern Sweet Potato Bundt Cake Recipe
I always use my Instant Pot to cook the sweet potatoes; 1 cup water in the bottom, sweet potatoes on a rack, then set the valve to sealing and set the pot to manual for 15-17 minutes depending how big they are. They come out perfectly every time and I can put them in the cake while they are hot as called for in the recipe.
3 cups hot boiled, peeled, and mashed sweet potatoes
3/4 cup butter
1 cup packed brown sugar
3/4 cup milk
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice
2 1/4 cups flour
3 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
Cream Cheese Glaze:
2 cups powdered sugar
3 ounces softened cream cheese
1/4 cup butter
1/4-1/3 cup milk
- Preheat oven to 350º. Spray a standard Bundt pan with nonstick/flour spray.
- Place the warm sweet potatoes, butter and brown sugar in a large mixing bowl.
- Beat until smooth; add the eggs and mix well.
- Stir in the milk, nutmeg, cinnamon, and lemon juice.
- Measure the flour, baking powder, and salt into a fine strainer set over the sweet potato mixture; shake through and mix well.
- Scrape the batter into the prepared Bundt pan.
- Bake 1 hour to 1 hour 15 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven, let sit 5 minutes, then invert onto a cooling rack and cool thoroughly.
- Glaze: Mix the powdered sugar, butter, cream cheese, and enough milk to make a glazing consistency; drizzle over the cooled cake.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 326 Calories from Fat 136
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 42% Protein 5% Carb. 53%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 15 g
Saturated Fat 9 g
Cholesterol 79 mg
Sodium 297 mg
Total Carbohydrate 43 g
Dietary Fiber 0 g
Sugars 0 g
Protein 4 g
Vitamin A 112% Vitamin C 11% Calcium 0% Iron 5%
Editor's Picks Articles
Top Ten Articles
Content copyright © 2023 by Karen Hancock. All rights reserved.
This content was written by Karen Hancock. If you wish to use this content in any manner, you need written permission. Contact Karen Hancock for details.