Irish Oatmeal Flapjacks Recipe
If you’re looking for an authentic treat for St. Patrick’s Day or after a good Irish meal, these flapjacks will be perfect. It’s a good idea to use Irish butter, which is available in the US (although most brands are made in the US, so it isn’t quite the same, but very good nevertheless). Flapjacks are a popular accompaniment to tea which is big in Ireland, but they are also good with milk or coffee. This particular recipe has been adapted to US measurements from a recipe published by Kerry Gold butter. Food companies generally present recipes that are extra good because they want to promote their product; in this case, the flapjacks are excellent. Scottish Oats are very different from rolled oats; they are not only flattened, but also ground. They are available at most grocery stores, and if your store has bulk bins, they are usually available there too.
You may notice that there is no green here – wearing green is a tradition started in the United States, and even though Ireland is green and beautiful, the Irish citizens don’t embrace this tradition and there is no pinching in Ireland for those who aren’t wearing green..
9 tablespoons Irish butter, 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon
6 tablespoons brown sugar
3 tablespoons golden syrup, or substitute dark corn syrup
3 cups Scottish oatmeal
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- Preheat oven to 350º.
- Spray an 8 x 11" baking dish with non-stick spray.
- Place the butter, brown sugar, and golden syrup in a small saucepan; stir over medium heat until the mixture is melted and the brown sugar is dissolved.
- Measure the oatmeal into a bowl; pour the hot mixture over and stir thoroughly so that all of the oatmeal is coated.
- Press into the prepared pan.
- Bake about 20 minutes or until set. >
- Cut all the way through when the bars are thoroughly cooled.
- Spread with the chocolate topping. and let set.
- Chocolate topping: Mix the chocolate and whipping cream;place in the microwave and microwave on high 2 minutes. Let sit 3 minutes.
- Whisk until smooth and spread over the cooled flapjacks.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 165 Calories from Fat 70
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 43% Protein 7% Carb. 50%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 8 g
Saturated Fat 4 g
Cholesterol 15 mg
Sodium 47 mg
Total Carbohydrate 21 g
Dietary Fiber 2 g
Sugars 0 g
Protein 3 g
Vitamin A 4% Vitamin C 0% Calcium 0% Iron 1%
Editor's Picks Articles
Top Ten Articles
Content copyright © 2019 by Karen Hancock. All rights reserved.
This content was written by Karen Hancock. If you wish to use this content in any manner, you need written permission. Contact Karen Hancock for details.