Arroz Alamendrado Recipe
1/2 cup Converted Rice
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup sugar
4 cups milk
1/3 cup blanched almonds, finely ground
1 teaspoon almond extract
2 egg yolks
- Place the rice and salt in a large saucepan.
- Using a vegetable peeler, remove the orange peel from the orange in large strips, being careful to avoid any of the white pith; add it to the rice.
- Cut the orange in half and squeeze the juice into a measuring cup.
- Add water to make 1 cup.
- Pour the orange water mixture over the rice, stir, and bring to a boil.
- Once the mixture boils, turn to low, cover, and let cook until the water is absorbed, about 20 minutes.
- Remove the orange peel and discard.
- Stir in the sugar, milk, and almonds; bring the mixture to a boil, turn down to the lowest setting, and let cook until most of the milk has been absorbed.
- Stir occasionally, and more often as the mixture thickens to avoid scorching. The finished mixture will have a creamy appearance.
- Stir in the almond flavoring.
- Beat the egg yolks and add a spoonful of the rice mixture to warm.
- Add several more spoonfuls of the rice mixture, stirring to mix, then add the warmed egg mixture to the rice mixture; pour into a 1 quart bowl or casserole dish.
- Sprinkle with cinnamon, cover with plastic wrap, and chill.
- Serve cold.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 372 Calories from Fat 103
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 28% Protein 10% Carb. 62%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 11 g
Saturated Fat 4 g
Cholesterol 90 mg
Sodium 180 mg
Total Carbohydrate 58 g
Dietary Fiber 0 g
Sugars 33 g
Protein 9 g
Vitamin A 7% Vitamin C 22% Calcium 0% Iron 8%
Editor's Picks Articles
Top Ten Articles
Content copyright © 2021 by Karen Hancock. All rights reserved.
This content was written by Karen Hancock. If you wish to use this content in any manner, you need written permission. Contact Karen Hancock for details.