Decadent Groundhog Cake Recipe
Whether you choose to do it Lucy’s way with chocolate cake, white frosting, and sprinkles, or take a bit more time to make the following Decadent Groundhog Cake, you’ll have a perfect dessert to serve on February 2nd. It won’t matter whether the groundhog sees his shadow, since you’ll be in a warm kitchen eating yummy cake.
1 18 1/4 ounce German chocolate cake mix
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 cup water
1/2 cup chocolate liqueur, or chocolate flavored coffee syrup
6 tablespoons butter
2/3 cup whipping cream
2/3 cup sugar
1 1/2 cups flaked coconut
1 1/2 cups chopped pecans
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/3 cup water
2/3 cup sugar
4 egg yolks
1 cup softened butter
3/4 cup semisweet chocolate, melted and cooled
Plastic Eyes from the craft store
- Cake: Preheat oven to 350°.
- Spray a 9" x 5" x 3" loaf pan with Baker's Joy or grease and flour.
- Mix the cake mix, eggs, oil, and water until smooth; pour into the prepared pan.
- Bake 60-70 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Let sit 5 minutes, then invert onto a cooling rack; cool thoroughly.
- Filling: Melt the butter in a saucepan; add the sugar and whipping cream and slowly bring to a simmer.
- Stir until the sugar is dissolved; add the vanilla.
- Add the coconut and nuts and stir.
- Frosting: Place the sugar and water in a saucepan; cover and bring to a boil.
- Boil, washing down the sides occasionally, until the sugar is dissolved and the mixture starts to thicken.
- Meanwhile, while the syrup is boiling, place the egg yolks in a large mixing bowl and beat until thick and lemon-colored.
- With the mixer on high, slowly pour the syrup into the egg yolks.
- Continue beating at high speed until the mixture has cooled, scraping the sides occasionally.
- Beat in the butter, one piece at a time, until the mixture is thick and smooth.
- Fold in the cooled melted chocolate.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 337 Calories from Fat 243
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 72% Protein 3% Carb. 23%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 27 g
Saturated Fat 12 g
Cholesterol 98 mg
Sodium 131 mg
Total Carbohydrate 19 g
Dietary Fiber 1 g
Sugars 11 g
Protein 2 g
Vitamin A 12% Vitamin C 0% Calcium 0% Iron 3%
Editor's Picks Articles
Top Ten Articles
Content copyright © 2021 by Karen Hancock. All rights reserved.
This content was written by Karen Hancock. If you wish to use this content in any manner, you need written permission. Contact Karen Hancock for details.