No-Bake Strawberry Key Lime Torte Recipe
Who can resist strawberry soaked angel food cake layered with a homemade key lime/cream mixture? If good strawberries aren’t available, any type of berry can be substituted: blueberries, blackberries, or raspberries are great, and since the key lime curd is made in the microwave, this dessert is quick to put together. If there isn’t time to decorate with whipped cream in a decorating bag as pictured, the dessert is also beautiful with a dollop of whipped cream on each wedge and a sprinkling of berries.
4 to 6 cups fresh strawberries, sliced
1 cup sugar
Key Lime Curd
4 egg yolks
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup butter
3 ounces key lime juice
2 cups heavy whipping cream
14 ounces angel food cakes, cut into 1" squares
Sweetened whipped cream, for garnish
- Line the bottom of a 9" springform pan with parchment.
- Sprinkle the strawberries with the sugar, stir, and set aside.
- Key Lime Curd: Whisk together the egg yolks, and sugar; add the butter, lime juice, and salt.
- Microwave 1 minute; whisk until the butter is melted.
- Microwave 2 minutes.
- Whisk until smooth.
- Continue microwaving in 1 minute increments until the mixture boils. The curd is done when it coats a spoon but is still thin enough to pour.
- Place a piece of plastic wrap directly on the curd and place in the fridge or freezer to cool.
- Whip the cream until it forms stiff peaks; fold in the cooled lime curd.
- Spread 1 cup of the cream mixture over the bottom of the prepared pan; cover with half of the angel food cake cubes.
- Top with half of the strawberries, including juice and spread half of the lime mixture over the strawberries.
- Add the remaining angel food cake cubes and top with the remaining strawberries and juice.
- Spread the remaining lime mixture over the top.
- Cover with plastic wrap; press down to compact.
- Refrigerate 4-6 hours or until thoroughly chilled (or up to 2 days ahead)
- To Serve:Run a knife around the outside of the torte; remove from the pan and place on a serving platter.
- garnish with sweetened whipped cream and whole strawberries.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 302 Calories from Fat 138
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 46% Protein 4% Carb. 50%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 15 g
Saturated Fat 9 g
Cholesterol 100 mg
Sodium 259 mg
Total Carbohydrate 38 g
Dietary Fiber 0 g
Sugars 19 g
Protein 3 g
Vitamin A 13% Vitamin C 38% Calcium 0% Iron 3%
Editor's Picks Articles
Top Ten Articles
Content copyright © 2021 by Karen Hancock. All rights reserved.
This content was written by Karen Hancock. If you wish to use this content in any manner, you need written permission. Contact Karen Hancock for details.