Easy Bavarian Nut Stollen Recipe
This version of Bavarian Nut Stollen is easier, since the dough is made in the automatic bread machine. It can easily be made ahead and frozen, which is a huge help as the holiday creep closer and we become even busier shopping, baking, and readying the house for out-of-town guests. Bavarian Nut Stollen is perfect for a dessert on a holiday brunch buffet, and it’s not overly sweet, so it’s also good alongside salads. Shaping is easy, and step-by-step directions are shown.
1 cup water
1/3 cup dry milk
6 tablespoons butter
1/3 cup sugar
3 1/2 to 4 cups flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon yeast
4 egg whites, room temperature
2 cups finely chopped pecans
1 1/2 cups finely ground almonds
1 cup sugar
4 teaspoons water
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
1 tablespoon whipping cream
1 cup powdered sugar
2 tablespoons milk
- Dough: Measure the dough ingredients into the pan of the automatic bread machine in the order given.
- Turn to the dough setting and start. After 5-10 minutes, check to make sure the ingredients have formed a soft ball of dough. If the dough is too soft, add additional flour; if the dough is stiff, add more water and start the cycle over.
- When the cycle has finished, transfer to a lightly floured pastry cloth or countertop.
- Roll the dough out into a rectangle 22 x 12 inches on a floured board.
- Spread the filling over all, leaving about 1/2 inch on each edge.
- Roll up, jelly roll style, as tightly as possible, pinching edge together.
- Cut the roll in half lengthwise, leaving two long pieces.
- Place them a parchment-covered or well-greased baking sheet, one over the other forming an X.
- Twist the rolls together.
- Beat the egg and whipping cream; brush on the loaves.
- Let rise in a warm place until double; brush with the egg mixture again.
- Bake at 350° 30 to 35 minutes or until the loaves are golden and the filling is set. If the stollen browns too fast, cover loosely with foil. Remove from heat; cool on a rack.
- Mix the powdered sugar and milk; drizzle over the cooled stollen.
- Filling: combine the egg whites, pecans, almonds, sugar, 2 teaspoons of the water, an cinnamon in a saucepan.
- Stir in remaining water and almond extract.
- Cool to room temperature.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 297 Calories from Fat 133
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 45% Protein 9% Carb. 47%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 15 g
Saturated Fat 3 g
Cholesterol 36 mg
Sodium 155 mg
Total Carbohydrate 35 g
Dietary Fiber 1 g
Sugars 11 g
Protein 6 g
Vitamin A 4% Vitamin C 1% Calcium 0% Iron 5%
Editor's Picks Articles
Top Ten Articles
Content copyright © 2021 by Karen Hancock. All rights reserved.
This content was written by Karen Hancock. If you wish to use this content in any manner, you need written permission. Contact Karen Hancock for details.