La Galette des Rois Recipe
Recently, while in Paris, I picked up a delightful children’s book explaining the tradition; La Véritable Histoire de la Galette des Rois. The book also includes a recipe for an authentic cake and a cute fève in the shape of a mouse, the main character in the book. I have adapted this recipe, so everyone – French speakers, and non-French speakers - can make La Galette des Rois at home.
Incidentally, in some parts of France, they serve a “Brioche des Rois,” which is a bread rather than a cake, but it also includes a fève. A “Brioche des Rois,” can be made quickly in an automatic bread machine and isn’t quite as sweet, so it is an alternative to include on the buffet you will undoubtedly serve at your own Féte de Rois this year. You can, of course serve both, and they both can be made ahead and frozen.
If you love all things French, like I do, and happen to speak and understand the language, this book is available at Amazon: la véritable histoire de la galette des rois
1 pound puff pastry, thawed (2 sheets)
3/4 cup whole almonds
1/3 cup sugar
1/3 cup soft butter
1 tablespoon heavy cream
2 tablespoons flour
1 egg, beaten
- Preheat oven to 400°; line a jelly-roll pan with parchment.
- Roll one of the puff pastry sheets into a 12" circle and place the circle on the prepared baking sheet.
- Spread the filling onto the pastry to 1" of the edge; brush the edge with a little of the beaten egg.
- Roll the remaining pastry sheet to a 12" circle and place on top of the filling, pressing the edges with your fingers to make sure the filling is sealed inside.
- Use a fork to press down decoratively around the edge.
- Using a very sharp knife or razor, cut shallow lines about 1" apart; cut diagonal lines in the opposite direction.
- Brush the cake with the remaining egg.
- Bake about 30 minutes or until puffed and golden brown. Do not under bake, as the dough will become soggy.
- Filling: Place the almonds and sugar in the food processor; process until very fine.
- Add the remaining ingredients and process until smooth.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 156 Calories from Fat 99
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 64% Protein 8% Carb. 29%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 11 g
Saturated Fat 4 g
Cholesterol 34 mg
Sodium 125 mg
Total Carbohydrate 11 g
Dietary Fiber 0 g
Sugars 3 g
Protein 3 g
Vitamin A 3% Vitamin C 0% Calcium 0% Iron 3%
Editor's Picks Articles
Top Ten Articles
Content copyright © 2021 by Karen Hancock. All rights reserved.
This content was written by Karen Hancock. If you wish to use this content in any manner, you need written permission. Contact Karen Hancock for details.