Slow Cooker Bird's Nest Cake Recipe
Decorating the cake is easy; simply place a few Peeps on top. It’s colorful and definitely delicious. Egg shaped marshmallows appear on the grocery shelves around Easter time every year; if you can’t find them in your area, you can substitute regular colored marshmallows. You can also substitute chocolate marshmallow eggs; the end result won’t be as colorful, but the chocolate and coconut combination are divine.
1 18.25 ounce white cake mix
1/4 cup softened butter
1 14 oz. can unsweetened coconut milk
2 cups coconut
green food coloring
2 cups Candy Eggmallows (vanilla flavored marshmallows), or other colored marshmallows
Peeps Marshmallow Chicks
- Spray the crock of a 6-8 quart rectangular or oval slow cooker with non-stick spray.
- Make two long, wide strips of foil and place one lengthwise along the bottom and up the sides of the crock, and the other crosswise along the bottom and up the sides of the crock.
- Spray the foil with non-stick spray.
- Mix the cake mix, butter, eggs, and coconut milk until smooth.
- Pour into the slow cooker and spread evenly.
- Cover, set the slow cooker to low, and let cook 2-3 hours or until the top is just set, but still a little soft.
- Measure the coconut into a container with a tight fitting lid; squeeze a few drops green food coloring over the coconut, seal tightly, and shake until the coconut is tinted.
- Sprinkle the coconut over the cake and top with the marshmallows.
- Cover and let cook an additional 30 minutes or until the marshmallows are puffed.
- Remove the lid and remove the crock to a cooling rack to cool thoroughly.
- Run a knife around the outside of the cake.
- Use the foil "handles" to remove it from the crock and place it on a serving platter.
- Arrange a few Peeps on top for garnish.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 168 Calories from Fat 109
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 65% Protein 5% Carb. 30%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 12 g
Saturated Fat 9 g
Cholesterol 48 mg
Sodium 74 mg
Total Carbohydrate 13 g
Dietary Fiber 1 g
Sugars 6 g
Protein 2 g
Vitamin A 3% Vitamin C 0% Calcium 0% Iron 6%
Editor's Picks Articles
Top Ten Articles
Content copyright © 2021 by Karen Hancock. All rights reserved.
This content was written by Karen Hancock. If you wish to use this content in any manner, you need written permission. Contact Karen Hancock for details.