Classic Chocolate Mousse Recipe
Classic Chocolate Mousse is an ethereal dessert; it is rich, chocolaty, and truly a bit of heaven. It can be eaten as is, or used as a filling for fresh strawberries, between cake layers, or spooned into a flaky pie shell. The following recipe for Classic Chocolate Mousse was adapted from a Julia Child television show many years ago; the ingredients are much the same, but the instructions have been simplified to make use of modern conveniences like the microwave and high powered electric mixer. Make sure you use impeccably fresh eggs, since they are not cooked; although safety experts warn against it, I’ve been making this recipe for over 30 years and have never once had a problem. Also, use highest quality chocolate – 60% cacao is nice – and extra heavy whipping cream. It will not only be worth the time spent preparing it, but it will be worth every calorie.
8 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
1/4 cup strong coffee
6 tablespoons butter, softened
3 eggs, separated
1/4 cup superfine sugar
1 cup very cold heavy whipping cream
- Mix the chocolate and coffee in a large microwaveable (preferably glass such as Pyrex) container; microwave 2 minutes.
- Let the mixture sit for a minute or two; stir until smooth.
- Whisk in the egg yolks one at a time; set aside to cool thoroughly.
- Beat the egg whites in a large mixing bowl until they form soft peaks.
- While beating, gradually sprinkle in the sugar and continue beating until stiff shiny peaks are formed.
- Whip the cream until stiff; set aside.
- Spoon the chocolate mixture into the egg white mixture; carefully fold them together.
- Fold in the whipped cream.
- Transfer the mousse to an attractive serving bowl or individual ramekins.
- Cover and chill several hours.
- Although not absolutely necessary, garnish with additional sweetened whipped cream.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 386 Calories from Fat 285
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 74% Protein 4% Carb. 22%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 32 g
Saturated Fat 18 g
Cholesterol 144 mg
Sodium 124 mg
Total Carbohydrate 21 g
Dietary Fiber 0 g
Sugars 0 g
Protein 4 g
Vitamin A 18% Vitamin C 0% Calcium 0% Iron 6%
Editor's Picks Articles
Top Ten Articles
Content copyright © 2022 by Karen Hancock. All rights reserved.
This content was written by Karen Hancock. If you wish to use this content in any manner, you need written permission. Contact Karen Hancock for details.