Gingerbread Man in Rebelle 3 Watercolor
- Open Rebelle and start a new project (see screenshot).
Width and Height 1200 px at 300 dpi
- Let's keep the default canvas.
- Open the Stencils panel (Window - Stencils) and drag the panel to the right into the Layers panel. You should see the Stencils panel tab added next to the Layers panel tab (see screenshot).
- In the Stencils panel menu, select Create Stencil from Image File to import the png file as a stencil (see screenshot) and choose the png file that we created in the Illustrator tutorial. You will see a thumbnail for your stencil added to the top of the list in the Stencils panel.
- Before we leave the Stencils panel menu, click the Keep Stencils Active When Hidden. This will keep the stencil active when we turn off the visibility of the stencil at any time by clicking the Show/Hide Stencils icon at the bottom of the panel.
- Drag the stencil thumbnail on to the Canvas. You will see two Gingerbread Men shapes and the details (see screenshot). One is a solid cutout and the outer is the piping. We also have cutouts for the face, bow tie and buttons. We will use the solid cutout first.
- The Stencil's Menu is the small square at the top right corner of the stencil (see screenshot). Select the Scale icon and drag to enlarge the Gingerbread Man stencil so that the solid cutout is the size you need. Use the Move icon to center the cutout area on the Canvas (see screenshot).
Our first step is to add a background color wash over the entire body. We will use a light brown color #eac7ad and the wet on wet technique.
- With the default layer selected in the Layers panel, rename the layer to Background Color and click the Wet the Layer icon at the top of the panel (see screenshot). This will add water to the digital paper. To see the blue water on the canvas, you can click on the Show Wet icon at the top left of the Layers panel.
Now let's add a basic layer of color.
Note: The brush settings suggested in the steps below work for me but may not work for you. Use these settings as a starting point and feel free to experiment.
- Select the Watercolor tool and set the following properties (see screenshot).
Brush Preset: Round
- In the Color panel, set the color to a light brown #eac7ad (see screenshot).
- Add a layer of color inside the body cutout area. Lightly cover the entire area (see screenshot).
Gingerbread Man Stencil for Rebelle
Screenshots used by permission of Escape Motions, s.r.o.
Editor's Picks Articles
Top Ten Articles
Content copyright © 2018 by Diane Cipollo. All rights reserved.
This content was written by Diane Cipollo. If you wish to use this content in any manner, you need written permission. Contact Diane Cipollo for details.