The Worms Crawl In Pie Recipe
Since Halloween is the only time of year when gross and disgusting food can be served and will be appreciated, you'll definitely want to make this at least once. My rule is that even if the food looks gross and disgusting, it must be tasty and must be made with good, fresh ingredients. The Worms Crawl In Pie fits this criteria; in fact, it's luscious, and will definitely be a hit with guests and family, whether they are brave enough to eat the worms or not.
1 3 oz. package raspberry or grape gelatin
3 envelopes unflavored gelatin
3 cups boiling water
3/4 cup whipping cream
Green food coloring, if using gel - 4-5 drops; if using liquid - 12-15 drops
1 1/2 cups whole milk
1/3 cup flour
2/3 cup sugar
1/2 cup milk
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
2 tablespoons butter
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 9" chocolate graham cracker crust
1 cup chocolate cookie crumbs, finely ground
- Worms: Place 100 bendable drinking straws in a 1 quart milk or juice container; the container must be taller than the straws or you will end up with a mess on your counter. Make sure the straws fit tightly in the container.
- Mix the gelatins and stir in the boiling water; continue stirring until the gelatin is dissolved.
- Let the mixture sit until it is room temperature.
- Stir in the whipping cream and food coloring (enough to make it an ugly wormy color).
- Pour the mixture into the drinking straws - some will leak out into the carton; this is as it should be.
- Refrigerate several hours or until set.
- When ready to assemble the pie, remove the straws from the carton and run a little hot water over the outsides.
- Squeeze the worms out onto a baking sheet and refrigerate until ready to top the pie.
- Pie Filling: Place the 1 1/2 cups milk in a large microwave-safe container (an 8 cup glass measuring cup works well) and microwave until it boils, 4-5 minutes.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour and sugar.
- Add the 1/2 cup milk, salt, and eggs; beat well. When the milk is boiling, whisk the milk/egg mixture into the boiling milk, whisking until smooth.
- Place the mixture in the microwave and let cook on high power for 2-3 minutes or until the mixture boils.
- Whisk in the chocolate chips, butter, and vanilla.
- Pour the mixture into the graham cracker crust.
- Place a piece of plastic wrap directly on the surface of the pie filling and chill at least 4 hours or until set.
- When the pie is set, cover the filling with the cookie crumbs and pile the worms on top. Make sure you take a picture to show your friends!
Amount Per Serving
Calories 616 Calories from Fat 254
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 41% Protein 7% Carb. 52%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 28 g
Saturated Fat 13 g
Cholesterol 112 mg
Sodium 350 mg
Total Carbohydrate 79 g
Dietary Fiber 0 g
Sugars 23 g
Protein 11 g
Vitamin A 13% Vitamin C 1% Calcium 0% Iron 7%
Want more Halloween ideas? There are over 130 Halloween recipes in my Halloween Cookbook, Quick Cooking for Halloween. It can be ordered from Amazon: Quick Cooking for Halloween: Over 130 Recipes to serve at the Annual Halloween BOO-ffet!
Editor's Picks Articles
Top Ten Articles
Content copyright © 2021 by Karen Hancock. All rights reserved.
This content was written by Karen Hancock. If you wish to use this content in any manner, you need written permission. Contact Karen Hancock for details.