Sweet Noodle Kugel Recipe
Kugel is a baked pudding, sometimes sweet and sometimes savory, usually made of noodles or potatoes, but sometimes made of other vegetables. It is generally very moist with eggs, and ingredients such as cream cheese, cottage cheese, and sour cream. It is a traditional Jewish dish, and the following Sweet Noodle Kugel is creamy and delicious. This kugel is the perfect dish to use up that cottage cheese, and, although it makes a nice not-too-sweet dessert, it's great for a brunch dish too.
1 8 oz. package wide egg noodles
Boiling salted water
6 tablespoons soft butter
6 eggs, separated
1 8 oz. package softened cream cheese
1/3 cup sour cream
2 1/4 cups small curd cottage cheese
3/4 cup sugar
1 pinch salt
1/4 cup melted butter
1/2 cup graham cracker crumbs
1/4 cup sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Spray a shallow 9" x 13" glass baking dish with non-stick spray.
- Cook the noodles in the boiling salted water until just barely tender - al dente.
- Drain well, transfer to a large bowl, and toss with the six tablespoons softened butter.
- Meanwhile place the egg yolks, cream cheese, sour cream, cottage cheese, sugar, and salt in the bowl of a food processor; process for a minute or two, scrape down the sides, and process until smooth (or use the mixer).
- Mix with the noodle mixture.
- In a clean bowl, beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form; fold into the noodle mixture.
- Spread the mixture into the prepared baking dish.
- Toss the topping ingredients together and sprinkle evenly over the top of the kugel.
- Bake for 60-70 minutes or until the center is set.
- Remove from the oven. The kugel can be served warm, cold, or at room temperature. Store tightly covered in the refrigerator.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 397 Calories from Fat 207
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 52% Protein 13% Carb. 35%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 23 g
Saturated Fat 13 g
Cholesterol 179 mg
Sodium 571 mg
Total Carbohydrate 35 g
Dietary Fiber 0 g
Sugars 17 g
Protein 13 g
Vitamin A 18% Vitamin C 0% Calcium 0% Iron 9%
Editor's Picks Articles
Top Ten Articles
Content copyright © 2021 by Karen Hancock. All rights reserved.
This content was written by Karen Hancock. If you wish to use this content in any manner, you need written permission. Contact Karen Hancock for details.