American Flag Squares Recipe
Although there are a few steps in preparing the layers of this dessert, they are all easy steps thanks to the use of boxed pudding mixes and the microwave. Using the food processor to chop the berries (pulse a few times– you don't want strawberry puree), and the blender for the topping are also great time savers.
48 Small Squares
4 cups flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup sugar
1 cup cold butter, cut into chunks
1 cup sour cream
1/2 teaspoon lemon extract
1 package Junket Danish Dessert, (4.3/4 ounce)
1 1/2 cups water
4 cups chopped fresh strawberries
1 cup whipping cream
1 3 oz. package instant vanilla pudding
2 cups milk
1 8 oz. package cream cheese, softened
1 cup flaked coconut
4 cups sliced strawberries
1 cup fresh blueberries
- Cookie Base: Preheat oven to 400°.
- Line a 17 1/" x 12 1/2" Jelly-roll pan with parchment or spray with non-stick spray.
- Mix the flour, salt, baking soda, and sugar in a large mixing bowl.
- Cut the butter into the mixture until it looks like cornmeal.
- Add the eggs, sour cream, and lemon extract.
- Mix well and pat evenly onto the prepared pan.
- Bake 20-25 minutes or until golden; remove from the oven to cool.
- Whisk together the Danish Dessert and water in a microwaveable container.
- Microwave 3 minutes; whisk until smooth and microwave an additional 1-2 minutes or until the mixture is transparent and thick.
- Set aside 2/3 cup of the mixture and stir the chopped strawberries into the remaining pudding.
- Spread over the cookie base.
- Topping: Whip the cream until stiff peaks form.
- Place the pudding mix, milk, and cream cheese in a blender; blend until smooth.
- Let the mixture sit until thickened, and fold into the whipped cream.
- Spread over the strawberry mixture.
- Sprinkle evenly with coconut.
- Garnish:Arrange the blueberries in the upper left corner of the dessert in the shape of a 4" x 5" rectangle.
- Mix the remaining Danish Dessert with the sliced strawberries and arrange them in stripes to resemble the flag.
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until chilled.
- To serve, cut into small squares.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 172 Calories from Fat 87
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 50% Protein 6% Carb. 44%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 10 g
Saturated Fat 6 g
Cholesterol 35 mg
Sodium 135 mg
Total Carbohydrate 19 g
Dietary Fiber 0 g
Sugars 6 g
Protein 3 g
Vitamin A 7% Vitamin C 24% Calcium 0% Iron 2%
Editor's Picks Articles
Top Ten Articles
Content copyright © 2021 by Karen Hancock. All rights reserved.
This content was written by Karen Hancock. If you wish to use this content in any manner, you need written permission. Contact Karen Hancock for details.