Summer Fruit Crisp on the Grill Recipe
Although you can use any combination of summer fruit – berries, peaches, nectarines – I’ve found that mixing in 2 cups of rhubarb with other berries (strawberries go a bit mushy when cooked, so I avoid them) adds a tart flavor that complements the rest of the fruit. Since it’s made on the grill, a large cast-iron skillet is ideal. The crumble consists of only 3 common ingredients, so it’s very easy to put together. It’s important to use whole wheat flour, since it imparts an extra crispness and nutty flavor that you can’t get with white flour.
1/2 cup butter
1 1/4 cups sugar
1 cup whole wheat flour
2 cups rhubarb, thinly sliced
3 to 4 cups fresh berries, preferably blueberries, raspberries, or blackberries, or a mixture
Ice cream, or whipped cream
- Place the butter in a 12-14 inch cast iron skillet and set it on a heated grill briefly to melt the butter.
- In a small bowl mix the sugar and whole wheat flour.
- When the butter is melted, sprinkle the sugar/flour mixture over the butter.
- Add the fruit to the skillet and stir just until the fruit is distributed evenly.
- Turn off one side of the grill and place the skillet on the side that has been turned off.
- Close the lid and let "bake" for about 30 minutes or until very bubbly and brown around the edges. Serve immediately with ice cream or whipped cream.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 320 Calories from Fat 113
Percent Total Calories From:
Fat 35% Protein 4% Carb. 61%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 13 g
Saturated Fat 8 g
Cholesterol 33 mg
Sodium 124 mg
Total Carbohydrate 49 g
Dietary Fiber 3 g
Sugars 31 g
Protein 3 g
Vitamin A 10% Vitamin C 56% Calcium 0% Iron 5%
Editor's Picks Articles
Top Ten Articles
Content copyright © 2021 by Karen Hancock. All rights reserved.
This content was written by Karen Hancock. If you wish to use this content in any manner, you need written permission. Contact Karen Hancock for details.